Senator Claims Video Games Are More Dangerous Than Guns

Senator Lamar Alexander thinks video games are to blame for all of the mass shootings in America.

He’s wrong, of course. Multiple studies have shown no evidence of a connection between gunmen in mass shootings and video games.

Jamil Smith tweeted this yesterday:

Print Friendly
This entry was posted in Guns and tagged , , , . Bookmark the permalink.
  • eljefejeff

    What I’ll never understand is the notion that somehow playing a game for entertainment in front of your tv is supposed to stoke an evil urge to kill, but actual target shooting, hunting and gun enthusiasm in other forms doesn’t. As if a guy who spent a ton of money building up a substantial gun collection doesn’t spend a significant amount of time fantasizing about and practicing shooting?

  • GrafZeppelin127

    My friend over at HuffPo, the one who said it would have been, his words, “far easier” for Adam Lanza to kill 20 kids and 6 teachers in under a minute by walking into Sandy Hook Elementary School with a barrel of gunpowder instead of an AR-15, has now declared that, quote, “Firearms are not inherently dangerous.”

    There is simply no reasoning with these people.

    • D_C_Wilson

      Firearms are weapons. Anyone who doesn’t treat any weapon as inherently dangerous is someone people should stay far away from.

      Sooner or later, he’s likely to shoot himself in the foot or worse.

      • GrafZeppelin127

        Funny; I didn’t even think of that. I was just so flabbergasted by the idea that anyone could think a device whose sole function is to use explosive force to propel solid metal projectiles through the air at supersonic speeds, for the sole purpose of damaging, destroying, wounding or killing whatever or whomever the projectile strikes, is “not inherently dangerous.” But you’re right. Any cop, soldier or shooting instructor will tell you flat out: Guns are inherently dangerous, and should be treated and handled as such.

        I’m reminded of Nic Cage’s character in The Rock when he showed Sean Connery the poison gas missile: “The minute you don’t respect this, it kills you.”

  • JimmyAbra

    I keep remembering Carlin talking about this, probably over 20 years ago now: http://youtu.be/6ssYezFw_Qs

  • zirgar

    The only thing that stops a bad guy with a video game is a good guy with a video game.

  • D_C_Wilson

    If it’s not video games, they blame violence on music. If it’s not
    music, it’s Dungeons and Dragons. If it’s not Dungeons and Dragons, it’s
    movies. If it’s not movies, then it’s single mothers.

    The goal is to find something that gets people talking about anything except guns.

  • muselet

    If video games are outlawed, only outlaws will have video games.

    –alopecia