Shocker: California Raises Taxes, Has Budget Surplus

Nobody could have predicted that after California finally voted to raise taxes, the state would cure its budgetary ailments in a relatively short amount of time.

Riding a wave of new tax revenue, California Gov. Jerry Brown on Thursday proposed a state spending plan that eliminates the deficit and provides $6.3 billion more in spending than the previous year.

The revenue has wiped away a budget deficit that stood at $25 billion when Brown took office two years ago and has created a slight surplus.

Brown proposed a $97.6 billion general fund for the 2013-14 fiscal year, an increase of 7 percent from the current year. The additional revenue will help him pour more money into public schools and universities. [...]

His budget includes a surplus of $850 million.

It’s no coincidence that following the election of a super majority of Democrats to the state legislature, California is finally poised to clean up a mess that’s been building for many years.

That sounds familiar, doesn’t it?

I do believe that after President Obama leaves office the country will be in as good of shape financially as it was when Bill Clinton left office. Or, at the very least, as good as can be expected given that the Republicans still have control of the House of Representatives.

Print Friendly
This entry was posted in Economy and tagged , , , . Bookmark the permalink.
  • JWheels

    Someone remind me again why the Republicans are the “party of fiscal responsibility”?

  • RilesSD

    Gov. Brown pushed austerity too though, no?

    • mrbrink

      The budget calls for a 7 percent increase in spending 2013-2014.

      They can now afford to undo some of that austerity.

  • BD

    No need to fix the problem, we’ll just steal more earnings from our serfs.
    Business is leaving California like crazy and we will see how these policies actually play out…

    • D_C_Wilson

      As opposed to stealing it from our grandchildren like we did for the Bush wars?

      • BD

        I don’t advocate either, theft or murder. And it would be much more honest to include Obama’s wars which have expanded upon the Bush wars at a sickening level.

        • D_C_Wilson

          You mean by ending one and setting in motion plans to bring the other one to an end?

          • BD

            Ha! Such love for murderers astounds me.
            The only reason the Iraq war was ended was because the Iraq government rejected Obama permission to remain as Bush signed an evacuation date. http://reason.com/blog/2012/09/05/barack-obama-did-not-end-the-war-in-iraq

            The Afghanistan war has been expanded upon greatly by your favorite murderer. http://dissidentvoice.org/2009/03/obama-expands-war-slaps-peace-voters/

            And how about those drone strikes. Your messiah gets up and sheds crocodile tears for victims in Connecticut while he murders innocent men, women and CHILDREN in countries like Afghanistan, Libya, Pakistan, Yemen from high in the air and without any chance of confrontation.

            The truth of the matter is that the Commander in Chief could have from day one brought every soldier back to their families alive and well. But that wouldn’t keep his banking puppet masters very happy would it? Stop with the apologetic excuses for murder because the sociopath has a “D” in front of his name.

          • D_C_Wilson

            Life is just one big paranoid conspiracy theory for you, isn’t i?

          • BD

            Refute the facts and stop ad hominem attacks. Lift the fucking veil already. You think those you defend give a shit about anyone other than those which grant them power? Sad, really sad that I present sources and you label that person a conspiracy theorist. By the way these people you love to defend do in fact, by definition, conspire to invade and murder. Keep up the servitude I am sure they will reward you well in the future.

          • D_C_Wilson

            If it quacks like a duck, it’s a conspiracy theorist.

          • villemar

            Have they got a handle on that cholera epidemic in Galt’s Gulch yet?

          • JMAshby

            No, the Iraq war ended because he campaigned on ending it and then followed through. Yes, the Iraqis didn’t want us there either, but that’s beside the point. Combat troops left the country before there was a dispute over status of forced, AND the reason the administration didn’t agree to it is because it would have given the Iraq government authority to prosecute our troops. Maybe you think that’s a good idea, but I don’t.

            The surge in Afghanistan ended months ago and the rest of the forces there will be slowly drawing down over the next year and a half.

            You’re linking Reason, talking about our “messiah,” and parroting some conspiracy theory about pleasing his banking masters.

            See, I knew you were a libertarian concern troll from the moment you first posted, but I was trying to be diplomatic by not swatting you outright.

        • JMAshby

          Yeah, ending the Iraq boondoggle is pretty sickening!

    • villemar
  • peter_principle

    “I do believe that after President Obama leaves office the country will be in as good a shape as it was when President Clinton left office,”

    Hope you’re wrong: California had no choice but to do what it did. But this isn’t 1993, and more austerity from the federal government isn’t what we need right now.

    • JMAshby

      21 million jobs and a budget surplus? I hope I’m right, although I don’t expect an exact repeat because of the House’s intransigence that will have sucked up, at the very least, 4 years of opportunity. Maybe 6 years if we don’t retake it in 2014.