Star Trek Technology: They’re Working On It

I give you actual holodecks:

And — seriously — they’re working on warp drive within our lifetimes:

“Perhaps a Star Trek experience within our lifetime is not such a remote possibility.” These are the words of Dr. Harold “Sonny” White, the Advanced Propulsion Theme Lead for the NASA Engineering Directorate. Dr. White and his colleagues don’t just believe a real life warp drive is theoretically possible; they’ve already started the work to create one.

By the way, there are nearly 8 billion civilizations in the Milky Way galaxy. Who wants to bet we’ll get to know one within 50 years?

Print Friendly
This entry was posted in Science and tagged , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.
  • Draxiar

    50 years? With the exponential rate that technology is advancing I sure won’t place a bet against it. Personally I think we’ve probably already been visited (that’s more fun than being a skeptic)…but get to “know”…yeah…I won’t bet against that.
    I’d like to see NASA reach for a manned mission to Mars. Not just NASA but perhaps a unification of countries and private industry reach for it. Perhpas the work on this real life warp drive-hyper drive-space folding engine is the beginning of that.
    I look at this sort of ambition in sheer wonder and hope and can’t help but think that these people that do this sort of work do it for the benefit of all…yes, I really believe that. Then I look at the infantile pettyness of the GOP in Congress and can’t help but think how small and tiny they really are by comparison.

  • JWheels

    I read the entire Gizmodo piece and I am seriously blown away. It’s technology that would utterly and permanently change the nature of the human experience itself. I hope to live to see the day where this type of technology has emerged, it’s startling and incredibly exciting.

  • D_C_Wilson

    Makes me hope Kurzweil’s predictions about human life extension are also true.

  • mrbrink

    Hell yeah!