The Bubble Genius Bob & Chez Show 1/24/13

Inauguration Recap; The Historic Lines; The President and First Lady Feel Vindicated; First Lady’s Eye-Roll; Al Roker Scared the Hell Out of Us; Republicans Trying to Rig the Electoral Vote; Republican Gerrymandering; Republican Annihilation; Ted Nugent’s Threat Against the President; and much more. Brought to you by Bubble Genius and the BobCesca.com Amazon Link.

There’s more political talk in this week’s After Party! Friday at Noon eastern time. If you’re not a member, subscribe already. Only $6/month, cancel any time.

Download the mp3 (55 minutes, 23mb)
RSS Feed

Bubble Genius

Print Friendly
This entry was posted in Bob and Chez Show and tagged , . Bookmark the permalink.
  • muselet

    Barack Obama giving prominent mention to global warming in his inaugural address seems to have greatly upset Jonathan Karl of ABC News, who pestered Jay Carney this week, demanding to know why Obama hadn’t made such a big deal about it during the campaign. I’m not sure if Karl is actually that dumb or if he’s indulging himself in a little scandal-mongering (for which, read “career-building”), but I am sure he’s making a mountain of a molehill.

    Chez, in the specific case of Texas—the whole Gulf coast—taking meaningful action on climate change would put a crimp in oil revenues. But the most vehement denial seems to come primarily from a reflexive rejection of any position taken by liberals. Plus scientists are by definition evil because atheistic evolution.

    I almost repeated a tasteless if funny joke from a few years ago about Pat Buchanan, but I’m in no mood to roll around in the mud with the likes of him. In my more mature moments, I actually pity him. His world is collapsing inexorably around him and the only thing he can think to do is hate the Other with even more fury. In my less mature moments, I repeat tasteless jokes about him.

    All of us thought 2008 might have been a fluke. That’s why Lefties wet themselves every time a new poll came out showing Mitt Romney’s numbers rising a fraction of a point. The Right is now convinced, more or less (and certainly more than is the Left), that 2008 and 2012 weren’t flukes, which is why they’re desperately trying to game the system so they can win elections in the future.

    Michelle Obama is uncomfortable with the faux-bonhomie of politics. She can afford to be, she’s not a politician. Barack Obama, on the other hand, doesn’t have the luxury of honest distaste. He has to work—more correctly, he has to be seen to be trying to work—with people who would just as soon see him impeached or worse. If he ever writes an honest memoir about his presidency, it’s going to be a blockbuster (or a something-else–buster).

    (Oh, hey, I anticipated the topic!) The electoral—and Electoral College—shenanigans by Rs are why Lefties are insane to be purists. I’ll spare everyone the eleventh iteration of my Forty Years speech (you’re welcome), but honestly, if your argument against voting for a D is that the Democratic Party is only slightly less objectionable than the Republican Party, you’re an idiot and you’re part of the problem.

    “A birthright to power.” Chez, you’ve distilled R thinking down to its essence.

    I would love to hear Ted Nugent’s screams of outrage if the hated federal government stopped enforcing copyright laws. Nugent would throw a fit if the royalty checks stopped rolling in and he had to get a real job. (And yes, I do know everything Nugent says and does is shtick.) Can we possibly agree to studiously ignore Ted Nugent and everything he says from this point forward, please?

    Sore loser fantasy, you say?

    –alopecia

  • ranger11

    I wish I could grab the Republican Party by the throat and choke the shit out of it at this point. Sore loser cheater motherfuckers.

  • Draxiar

    Star Blazers! LOVED that cartoon.

    • Scopedog

      Hell yes! You should try and check out the live-action YAMATO film and the cartoon remake of YAMATO–both are awesome.

  • Scopedog

    Excellent show–and I loved the discussion about STAR BLAZERS/YAMATO and SAMURAI CHAMPLOO. Didn’t realize that you two were fans of the former.
    (Of course for me, the best anime shows are COWBOY BEBOP, VOTOMS, and ZETA GUNDAM….but that’s just me.)

    Bob, you and Chez are both right about Climate Deniers. Some of them are thinking it is the End Times and they want it to happen. But a good percentage of them are just obstinate naysayers who simply live to be contrary. My ex is one of those. He adopts any theory that isn’t mainstream. To him 9/11 was an inside job, the government is out to get us and Climate Change is a vast conspiracy by greedy scientists who want to live large off the government teat. I used to think it was pure paranoia on his part but there are so many like him out there that I finally concluded that there surely can’t be that many undiagnosed paranoid people wandering around. I now think it is something much more common–an anti-authoritarian, victim mindset. It isn’t quite pathological but to the mentally healthy, it is not only annoying, it looks plain nuts.

    • muselet

      “Greedy scientists.” Yeah, ’cause faculty parking lots around major universities are packed with Ferraris and Rolls-Royces. *eyeroll*

        Ha! Right?! He is so ignorant of how the grant process works and just how little most profs make…I mean look at me, it’s not like I’m swimming in dough from my years in academia. I took such pains to explain to him the journal review process and the scientific method so that he could understand that a million scientists from around the globe couldn’t be wrong and he just wouldn’t listen to reason. I’m beginning to think these kind of people have some deep seated NEED to be victims of a vast conspiracy either to feel like they’re special (because they’re the only ones who “really” see the truth) or to explain their own pathetic failings in life (very few of these people that I have met have been successful in life).

    • ranger11

      You need to divorce him all over again.

        Lmfao, you ain’t kidding!