The Next Liberal Freak-Out

Dean Baker in the Guardian:

Given his track record, there is little doubt that President Obama can be trusted to make further concessions, possibly involving social security and Medicare, in negotiations on the debt ceiling. Oh well, at least we can laugh at the experts being wrong about the fiscal cliff “Mayan apocalypse”.

I get it. We’re supposed to start shaming the president for putting Social Security and Medicare on the table during the forthcoming debt ceiling debate, even though he, you know, hasn’t. Actually, he clearly took these things off the table in the fiscal cliff deal. (And don’t tell me the congressional Democrats get the credit for that. Either the president is responsible for the terms of the deal or he’s not.)

Seriously, there are enough things in this world to be outraged about, why do we need to invent new ones?

Print Friendly
This entry was posted in Economy and tagged , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.
  • GrafZeppelin127

    See my comment to the previous post.

    More and more of our political media and commentary seem to fall into the category of Outrage Porn as time goes by. Outrage appears to be the coin of the realm in 21st-century American politics. Media outlets make their money by feeding their respective audiences’ desire to feel victimized, put-upon, sold-out, betrayed, disappointed, targeted, “forced” to do things against their will, or to pay for things that other people don’t deserve, etc. It’s hard to find any commentary or analysis on anything that’s going on without also finding a strong implication about how the reader/listener/viewer should feel about it.

    • kccommunist

      The beast doesn’t eat Obama whole. The beast first demands only a bank bailout. Then a bailout for wallstreet. Then a FED holiday showering gold. Keep showering the MIC with money/surveilance/power. Four “unexpected” years of Bush Tax cuts of gold! Everyone knows that $400,000 is sooo very middle-class.

      The beast has four more years to feed off Obama.

      • GrafZeppelin127

        OK … What has that got to do with Outrage Porn?

          It is outrage porn. kccommunist is bleeding outraged, and by damn, he will let us know it.

          • kccommunist

            One doesn’t make a circle by accepting corners, does one?

  • Zen Diesel

    A wise sage, stated not too long ago that sometimes progressives act like tweens who bitch about a getting a white iphone instead a black iphone…..lol.

    • kccommunist

      White Drone, Black Drone. Innocent blood flows red.

      • villemar

        Hot Water Burn Baby!!!Hot Water Burn Baby!!!Hot Water Burn Baby!!!!

        Idiot.

        • kccommunist

          Your charm is as delicate as your beauty.

      • Zen Diesel

        Fiscal Cliff to Drones = Apples to Oranges, both are worthy of discussion; however cross pollination of the two makes no sense.

        • kccommunist

          GrafZeppelin127 changed his post after I responded. “Black Drone / White Drone” was my snippy little bit of reality in response to his comment that the actual left complains they got a black Iphone not a white Iphone.

          Threads lose their zing when posters edit their foolish comments away to protect their delicate pride. Nocole is the worst offender this side of redstate.

          • GrafZeppelin127

            Liar. I did no such thing. I made no comment about white/black iPhones; someone called Zen Diesel made that comment. I have never changed a comment to accommodate or negate a response.

            Apologize for your lies, please.

  • tienle

    To make money. To seem important. To look ‘right’. They don’t care about SS or Medicare–they need their outrage fix because they’re addicts. Let the freak out all they want. They are completely impotent and the President uses them as a prop to show how “the Left” is so upset about the deals he’s making. It’s laughable really. So I laugh.

      “to show how “the Left” is so upset about the deals he’s making”

      Certainly makes him seem all that more centrist, doesn’t it?

    • Scopedog

      “They are completely impotent and the President uses them as a prop to show how “the Left” is so upset about the deals he’s making. It’s laughable really. So I laugh.”

      Yep. Certainly gives me a few chuckles to see the freak-outs. I mean, what are they going to do, pout and stay home fuming? We all know how THAT works out….well, except them, of course, since they keep doing it every goddamned time.

      Let’s face it–Obama’s smarter than them. And they’re p’od about that.

      • missliberties

        Also, Obama has the inside scoop. We don’t.

        Can you imagine trying to cut a deal with these crazy people. I would never make it through one session.

        So kudos to Obama/Biden for keeping their cool and getting er done.

        I love how this could be a real opportunity to possibly maybe reform the tax code????!!!! We could get lots more revenue by eliminating off shore tax havens and closing loopholes.

      • kccommunist

        “Obama’s smarter than them”. No, just you. Get back in line.

  • venezia3540

    Yeah, here’s Krugman doing the same thing. Sure, not too much wrong went here, but hey, prepare for the NEXT big Obama cave…it’s coooooooomiiinngggg:

    “The bad news is that the deal falls short on making up for the revenue lost due to the Bush tax cuts. Here, though, it’s important to put the numbers in perspective. Obama wasn’t going to let all the Bush tax cuts go away in any case; only the high-end cuts were on the table. Getting all of those ended would have yielded something like $800 billion; he actually got around $600 billion. How big a difference does that make?

    Well, the CBO estimates cumulative potential GDP over the next decade at $208 trillion.So the difference between what Obama got and what he arguably should have gotten is around 0.1 percent of potential GDP. That’s not crucial, to say the least.

    And on the principle of the thing, you could say that Democrats held their ground on the essentials — no cuts in benefits — while Republicans have just voted for a tax increase for the first time in decades.

    So why the bad taste in progressives’ mouths? It has less to do with where Obama ended up than with how he got there. He kept drawing lines in the sand, then erasing them and retreating to a new position. And his evident desire to have a deal before hitting the essentially innocuous fiscal cliff bodes very badly for the confrontation looming in a few weeks over the debt ceiling.

    If Obama stands his ground in that confrontation, this deal won’t look bad in retrospect. If he doesn’t, yesterday will be seen as the day he began throwing away his presidency and the hopes of everyone who supported him.”

    • rachelmap

      “He kept drawing lines in the sand, then erasing them and retreating to a new position.”

      Didn’t Bugs Bunny get Yosemite Sam to step off a cliff by doing that same thing?

  • gescove

    I saw a quote from Krauthammer in the Daily Caller: “Look, there are a lot of conservatives in the Republican caucus in the House who hate the bill — and for good reason. I mean, this is a complete surrender on everything. The ratio of tax cuts — of tax hikes to spending cuts — is 40 to 1, rather than 1 to 1 or 1 to 2 or 1 to 3. So, I mean it’s a complete rout by the Democrats. So it’s understandable.” Poor Charles, needing to self-correct “tax cuts” to “tax hikes” — priceless. I can understand some of the “process” questions on the left: has the President tipped his hand too much and lost leverage going forward for the coming fights on cuts and the debt ceiling? But the President OWNED this negotiation, even though he is forced to deal with a lunatic nihilist Republican majority in the House. And a good deal of damage was inflicted on the Republican side: Cantor’s failed 11th hour insurgency; Boehner’s break with the “Hastert rule”; and voting to raise taxes and extend unemployment benefits!! I think Republicans are significantly weakened and more fractured after this… and that bodes well for the future.

    • missliberties

      Yes. We should focus on their civil war. The anti-tax jihad cost this country dearly.

      Their purity on taxes screwed the pooch over the original debt ceiling. They could have gotten much more of what they wanted at that time and democrats were willing to make huge concessions. Yet they refused to raise one penny of taxes to cut a deal. Their dogma has done them in.

  • KABoink_after_wingnut_hacker

    Hey, at least the firebaggers have shut up about drones for a couple days! :)

    • Victor_the_Crab

      Have you met our new emoprog kccommunist here?

      • kccommunist

        Idealist. I have yet to sour into the group-think.

        • Victor_the_Crab

          Retard. You’ll be vinegar when we’re through with you.

          • kccommunist

            Unlike many, I have core convictions. What flavor jelly-bean are you? Threatening is generally yellow and goes well with your group-think.

          • Victor_the_Crab

            I’m a combination arsenic and hemlock flavour. Eat me, fuckface!

          • kccommunist

            Now your just tired and angry, Sweetpea. Yellow jellybeans get that way.

            “Fuckface!” is not how you thank someone for saving SS and Medicare from slow eviceration of chained CPI. Was THAT your idea or the Republicans? (hard to tell the difference these days)

          • Victor_the_Crab

            Yargle Bargle. You’re just boring and useless. And you only wish you were that creative, fuckface.

          • kccommunist

            Have a glass of milk. It might calm your jangled nerves and the inferiority complex you wear so bravely.

            But your logic! Throwing invectives is so very Republican. Home-schooled?

          • Victor_the_Crab

            Invectives are all you deserve, fuckface. And you’ve really crossed into the seriously boring zone. Yawn.

          • kccommunist

            Then peddle that tricycle right on out of here. Don’t go into the street. Hugs for my wittle jellybelly.

          • Victor_the_Crab

            And a slug in your mug to you, fuckface. Buh-byeeeee!

          • kccommunist

            It’s so enlightening to have met someone who both scorns and emulates Republicans. That home-schooling paid off in spades!

  • http://profiles.yahoo.com/u/GIQIFF7A7RFUB5SZVHTELINBLE oron

    Not to be contrary, but even if it is true that he has no intention of putting them on the table, and previous apparent trial balloons on the subject were just paranoid delusions, is it still not a good thing to have people on the left toeing a very hard line on medicare and SS? Would his fortitude be so great if the only voices were on the right demanding cuts?

    • nellcote

      I don’t object to the policy disputes. I object to the firebagger mind reading since they invariably get it wrong.

      • kccommunist

        We need firebaggers keeping him legit. While his man-love for Reagan is substantially less than that neocon Lass, Peggy Noonan, Obama has still expressed man-love. Can’t deny his history of moving the Democratic bar to the right.

        • villemar

          “Obama has still express man-love?” English, motherfucker, do you speak it?

          • kccommunist

            He’s a neo-liberal, war-making (drones), supply-siding, privatizing fan of Ronald Reagan.

            Without pushback from the actual left (not the centrists here who’d split the baby), Obama will continue tacking to the Right (when the opportunities appear – and they always appear).

          • villemar

            Then don’t vote for him in 2016.

          • kccommunist

            Without pushback, several people on this site would have been quite happy with Chained CPI. (I’ve read the comments sections – those of you who did not go back and edit your comments – change them now)

            Please phone actual liberals, progressives and old-school Democrats to thank them for saving SS from cuts.

  • missliberties

    The people who say these things, i.e. Dean Baker, want to feel important.

    They are the left’s version of the tea party.

    We should send all these whiners a box of kleenex.