The President Is Aware of All Hunting Traditions

The president talking about gun ownership in an interview with The New Republic:

“Part of being able to move this forward is understanding the reality of guns in urban areas are very different from the realities of guns in rural areas. And if you grew up and your dad gave you a hunting rifle when you were ten, and you went out and spent the day with him and your uncles, and that became part of your family’s traditions, you can see why you’d be pretty protective of that.

“So it’s trying to bridge those gaps that I think is going to be part of the biggest task over the next several months. And that means that advocates of gun control have to do a little more listening than they do sometimes.”

I get what he’s saying, and it makes sense to keep traditions in mind, but the vast majority of hunters who we’re supposed to listen to, ostensibly because they don’t want gun control, already believe the president’s going to take their guns away, and nothing we say will change their minds other than simply not doing it. And no, there’s no plan to seize modest hunting weapons.

Print Friendly
This entry was posted in Guns and tagged , , . Bookmark the permalink.
  • chris castle

    He may be playing reverse psychology with the hunting community. To the contrary, however, I thought I read somewhere recently that gun violence is also an issue in rural areas, which would contradict the conventional wisdom that he’s preaching…

  • GrafZeppelin127

    My latest gun-related thing on Daily Kos, with some predictably venomous comments.

    Completely unrelated, my other latest Daily Kos thing.

  • chris castle

    Be wary of falling for hunters’ BS as they are not as “innocent” as they might seem. Case-in-point: My best friend is a “gun nut,” and it was hunting that got him to this place. About ten years ago, after some encouragement from a few co-workers, he decided to take up deer hunting, which, in and of itself, is fine. At this point, he was decidedly for very strict gun laws, like me. Over the years, his attitude toward guns in general has changed dramatically, after exposure to much right-wing propaganda at the gun range and from those in his hunting group. He is now the NRA’s bitch, and buys into everything they say. Still, he considers himself a hunter, nothing more, nothing less. It’s obvious, however, to me, his spouse, my spouse, etc. that he allowed himself to be brainwashed and that his attitude toward guns has gone far beyond protecting the sport of hunting. I would be shocked if most “hunters” weren’t also gun nuts…