The Real Saint Christie

Charlie Pierce on Chris Christie:

The fact is that he’s still the same guy he always was. Somebody who would pull the wings off flies if he thought it meant 15 minutes on CNN. Someone who almost never picks on anyone his own size. Someone who kicks down, always. Someone who was OK with federal storm relief, but ostentatiously refused federal money for another tunnel connecting New Jersey and New York. He’s still the same megalomaniac who stunned the party in Tampa by giving a keynote address at the Republican National Convention in which he barely mentioned the nominee. He’s the guy who put the bully in the bully pulpit. And he has not changed, any more than Washington has. Be advised. The aurora’s rising behind him.

As we said on the podcast, if the 2016 election was today, Christie could basically walk into the Oval Office. But before his coronation, be aware that he’ll absolutely move farther to the right during the campaign just like McCain, and he’s already far-right on reproductive rights, gun control and taxes/spending. You can absolutely expect that some of your liberal friends will fall in love with him because, well, liberals do that. Warn them that he’s not our friend, regardless of his tough talk against the Republicans recently.

Print Friendly
This entry was posted in Chris Christie and tagged . Bookmark the permalink.
  • ranger11

    Um, why will liberals fall in love with him? They secretly like loudmouth bullies? I’m saying this as someone who was born in Jersey and lived there for almost 40 years. He’s Ralph Kramden spliced with Tony Soprano. Liberals must love them some cartoons.

  • rikyrah

    and of course, there are clowns on the left singing Krispy Kreme’s praises

  • hypnoladyl

    I’m not worried about my liberal friends; it’s more the conservatives who couldn’t support Romney and the tea party candidates and voted for the President. Christie is looking, to them like a moderate Republican who is willing to work bipartisan.

  • kushiro -

    Sometimes the enemy of your enemy isn’t your friend, he’s just a big loudmouth bully.

  • trgahan

    Regarding the emergence Gov. Christie v. 2.0: What else could he have done/said since Hurricane Sandy that would not have tanked his approval numbers and effectively ended his political career?

    He’s had to turn down the far right talk because half his state was impacted by a huge natural disaster and he likely remembers what happened to people who tried to make “free market/libertarian” arguments after Katrina hit New Orleans.

  • Victor_the_Crab

    I’m not worried. Four years is a long ways away, which will give plenty of time for Christie to reveal himself in his true nature. See Rudi Guliani for an example.

    Besides, the’re be plenty of Republicans who won’t support him because they feel Christie “betrayed” them when they needed him to defeat the Black Devil™.

    • Victor_the_Crab

      Can someone please tell me how to make the TM look lower cased here?

      • peonyharp

        Get yer krabby patties here™
        Victor, it’s 2 bits of punctuation and a word in the middle —
        & trade ; but without spaces.