They Aren’t Hiding It

Yes, the Republicans retained control of the House of Representatives in 2012 thanks to gerrymandering, and they’re very proud of this fact.

In the memo — titled “How a Strategy of Targeting State Legislative Races in 2010 Led to a Republican U.S. House Majority in 2013” — RSLC boasts that it “raised more than $30 million in 2009-2010, and invested $18 million after Labor Day 2010 alone” to ensure statehouse victories in states like Pennsylvania, Ohio, Michigan and Wisconsin.

“The rationale was straightforward,” reads the memo. “Controlling the redistricting process in these states would have the greatest impact on determining how both state legislative and congressional district boundaries would be drawn. Drawing new district lines in states with the most redistricting activity presented the opportunity to solidify conservative policymaking at the state level and maintain a Republican stronghold in the U.S. House of Representatives for the next decade.”

The results of the 2010 election may haunt us for years to come, and we must acknowledge going into the 2014 election that the Republican side of the aisle has built-in advantages that will increase their chances of retaining control of the House. We must acknowledge it, but not allow it to dim our spirits or depress our involvement in the campaign.

We have to educate voters and emphasize that local elections are important too while turning up the heat on state lawmakers who say and do egregious things. Because the consequences of their partisan hackery extend far beyond their state borders.

Print Friendly
This entry was posted in Election 2014 and tagged , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.
  • Draxiar

    And these fucknuggets have the shameless audacity to crusade against “voter fraud”. Yeah…I guess they know all about it, right? How is something like this NOT pursued by the election police (or whatever they’re called…it’s the end of the day and I can’t think anymore)? Bunch of friggin cheaters they are.

  • mrbrink

    It’s not going to be too much longer until the good people who constitute the country’s changing demographics swallow the Republican party’s house majority whole.

    There is an important election every TWO years.

    Every TWO years.

    Just throwing that out there.

  • trgahan

    It is a perfect example of how thin the line currently is between what we have today (however imperfect it is) and redisctricted/procedural GOP technical “majority” with no accountability to the majority of American voters.
    My question is, are we going to stop them from dividing up electoral votes in battleground states so sparsely populated rural districts count as much a densly populated urban districts in presidential elections?

  • West_of_the_Cascades

    You are absolutely right that this fact should make us work harder in 2014, 2016, 2018, and especially 2020 when the next redistricting will occur. Fortunately that will coincide with a presidential election.

    But I’d also like to drag people like Jane Hamsher and other firebaggers out of the weeds and beat them, hard, on the soles of their feet for two years of carping at President Obama in advance of the 2010 elections, going so far as to urge protest votes (or non-votes) against the Democratic Party because the President didn’t deliver ponies or unicorns out of his ass during the first 24 months of trying to cope with the worst economic meltdown since the Great Depression. These people never have acknowledged their role in the 2010 Republican victories, and all the mocking of them (I usually go to Balloon Juice for it, but I’ve seen some good mocking here, too) doesn’t change the fact that they did great damage to our nation with their approach to that election.

    I don’t disagree with the policies they were urging (for the most part) – but I do despise the “I’m going to hold my breath and stay home and not vote if I don’t get what I want” approach.

    • nellcote

      Especially in a census year. And these people call themselves politically aware.