Utah GOP is Nullification Curious

We have our next contestant for who will unsuccessfully try to nullify federal law.

At a rally in front of the Utah Capitol in Salt Lake City on Saturday, newly-elected state Rep. Brian Greene drew cheers when, according to The Salt Lake Tribune, he announced that “he would unveil legislation next week giving local sheriffs the power to arrest any federal agent attempting to seize firearms from Utah residents.” [...]

“This is all about control,” Greene said. “I saw the president in his press conference the other day with all the children around him and he made this comment — and I want to correct him. He said if this can save just one life we have a duty to do it. No, Mr. President, you have a duty to uphold the Constitution.”

Greene’s bill is known as the Second Amendment Preservation Act. Reached by TPM on Tuesday, Greene said the bill was still being drafted, and public copies were not yet available.

Again — you can’t claim that your aim is to “uphold the Constitution” while conveniently ignoring the Supremacy Clause which states that federal law is “the supreme law of the land.”

The good news for Brian Greene is that no one is actually planning to confiscate firearms so he may never have the opportunity to be laughed out of a federal court room.

(h/t Price Benowitz LLP)

Print Friendly
This entry was posted in Guns and tagged , , , . Bookmark the permalink.
  • Draxiar

    “he would unveil legislation next week giving local sheriffs the power to arrest any federal agent attempting to seize firearms from Utah residents.”
    Any sheriff would (at least I hope they would) know *exactly* what would happen if they did that…except maybe Arpaio. And yeah…since there is no legislation to confiscate any firearm…duh.
    It’s so easy to frighten these people it almost takes the fun out of it.

    • muselet

      All true, but it would be fun to watch the shitstorm the first time some local yokel arrested a fed.

        Well, if it’s Arpaio we can be sure that nothing will happen. He pretty much does as he pleases.

  • i_a_c

    Some nutcase in my home state of Nebraska is doing that too.

    This will never stop entertaining me. The RWNJs love the Constitution so much, but they hate the Supremacy Clause and damn near all of the Judicial Branch. They really don’t care for how the law is carried out in this country at all.