Virginia GOP Dabbles in Nullification

This isn’t straight-up nullification per say, but it is skating awfully close to it and may also be unconstitutional.

A Virginia House of Delegates committee endorsed a controversial bill Friday that would prevent any state or local government entity from providing information about gun crimes based on any federal law enacted after 2012. If enacted, the bill could prevent local police from sharing records with the Federal Bureau of Investigations. [...]

Virginia blogger Ben Tribbett called the bill a “Gangbanger Bill of Rights,” noting that it could impede an FBI investigation of evidence found at a crime scene that involved a gun clip or assault weapon banned in future legislation and could prevent Virginia police from testifying in federal court cases

There are at least half a dozen state legislatures now considering laws that would nullify, at least in part, federal law or obstruct federal investigations.

Why? Because the president proposed that we implement more rigorous background checks. An unforgivable encroachment of common sense.

    This is what happens when a political party decides its guiding philosophy is “the exact opposite of what the other guys want.”

    “I have given up hope for a loyal opposition. I’d settle for a sane one.”
    –Michelle Cottle
    The New Republic, 06 August 2009

    –alopecia

  • i_am_allwrite

    Texas is crazy in an assholish way, Mississippi is crazy in dumb, kind of sad way, but I’ve long thought that Kansas was tops in batshit craziness. But Virginia’s starting to make me rethink that.