Voice of the Party

Artist – Jimmy Margulies

In other news, President Obama reiterated again today during his weekly address that he will not play games with the debt ceiling.

And as I said earlier this week, one thing I will not compromise over is whether or not Congress should pay the tab for a bill they’ve already racked up. If Congress refuses to give the United States the ability to pay its bills on time, the consequences for the entire global economy could be catastrophic. The last time Congress threatened this course of action, our entire economy suffered for it. Our families and our businesses cannot afford that dangerous game again.

In response, the GOP demanded a fully fueled helicopter on the roof of the capital building and safe passage to a red state.

    And not that organic wind fuel, neither!

    They want American fuel that you can smell when you soak it in a rag and huff it.

  • http://www.facebook.com/tomeast Tom Eastman

    They *will* play chicken with the debt limit. They *will* push it over the edge. So genuine question: What are the president’s options? Does it really come down to one of those legal loopholes like coining a trillion dollar coin or something like that?

    Bob, what do you see happening if the Republicans just sit on their hands and let it all go to hell?

    • D_C_Wilson

      The president has ruled out invoking the 14th Amendment to pay the bills, since it would probably lead to another impeachment show down with Congress. Which, I honestly think the republicans are hoping for.

      The fiscal cliff was averted only because of the democrats in the House voting for the final compromise. A majority of republicans voted against it. There are enough crazies in the House that they may force Boehner to not even call for a vote on the debt ceiling. If that happens, we may be talking of a disaster of biblical proportions.

      http://youtu.be/O3ZOKDmorj0

      I can’t imagine what they’re thinking, but it sounds like they’re following the logic of the Underpants Gnomes.

      Phase 1: Destroy the economy.

      Phase 2: ??????

      Phase 3: Republican victory.

  • trgahan

    I wonder if the only way to end this obstructionism is to make sure the Republicans pay in 2014?

    While 2012 showed them that getting the White House will be very difficult in the coming years, I think they still feel that they can take back congress. They do retain solid control over the majority of the states and the states where that could potentially change they are busy rigging the system to retain power regardless of the vote.