“We Must Pay Our Bills”

According to this statement from House Majority Leader Eric Cantor, the GOP is planning to release their debt-ceiling hostage but they will also reserve the right to take another in three months.

We must pay our bills and responsibly budget for our future. Next week, we will authorize a three month temporary debt limit increase to give the Senate and House time to pass a budget.

I can’t discern what their endgame is because from my perspective this is a clear signal that they aren’t willing to actually default on our national debt.

Several weeks ago skeptical parties on the left were criticizing the president for supposedly giving up his leverage to win the battle over taxes while ignoring the debt ceiling, but it seems clear now that all he really had to do was go on national TV and explain to the American public — and some sitting congresscritters — what the debt ceiling really is. And this line from Eric Cantor that we “must pay our bills” is the giveaway.

From the president’s remarks on the debt ceiling this week

This is a matter of congress authorizes spending. They order me to spend. They tell me you need to fund our defense department at such an such a level. You need to send out social security checks. You need to make sure that you’re paying to care for our veterans. They lay all this out for me, because they have the spending power. And so I am required by law to go ahead and pay these bills. Separately, they also have to authorize a raising of the debt ceiling in order to make sure those bills are paid.

So what congress can’t do is tell me to spend X and then say we’re not going to give you the authority to go ahead and pay the bills.

It’s not as easy to tell your constituents that you don’t want to pay our bills as it is to claim that you’re blocking the authorization of new spending.

To fully realize how big of a turnaround this is, recall the GOP’s weekly address delivered by Senator Orrin Hatch on December 1st wherein he accused the president of asking for “unlimited unchecked authority to borrow from the Chinese.”

Are the Republicans going to pass a three month extension of “unlimited unchecked authority to borrow from the Chinese,” or was that a bunch of bullroar?

Print Friendly
This entry was posted in Economy and tagged , , . Bookmark the permalink.
  • muselet

    You can’t discern the Rs’ endgame because they don’t have a clue what their endgame is, either. They’re climbing down from blowing up the world economy over the debt ceiling—which is a responsible move, but one which takes away their leverage—but now they’re talking about blowing up the world economy over the debt ceiling in three months or over the sequester or whatever else they can think of.

    To me, it looks like they’re trying to do anything, anything at all, to keep from actually governing.

    –alopecia

    • MrDHalen

      You’re right, they have no endgame. The President has boiled the GOP down to its base Liquified Hate. They gave him his tax plan and he left the room, leaving them with nothing but their toxic ideas.

      Taxes going up would have hurt the President, everything else is all on the GOP. Just brilliant politics!

    • mrbrink

      Oh, it’s a silly little game they’re playing.

      It’s like the college hazing of America

      I think it’s called, “Shits and Giggles.”

      It’s all about taking an eye-high dump on the game board and giggling at the president because he’s been forced to scoop it up with his hands.

      The maturity they try to display when talking about paying our(their) bills is undercut by the fact that they have to be told not to extol the virtues of a woman being raped.

  • Brutlyhonest

    They’re going to blame the “Democrat Senate” for everything in three months. You know, because they haven’t passed a budget. The giddy cbs news reader gave away their game tonight.