Wendy’s Franchise Cuts Hours Because of Obamacare

A shitty job just got shittier. The owner of a Wendy’s store in Omaha, Nebraska clearly hasn’t read the news because every business that’s tried this has been yanked back by public outrage and boycotts.

The company has announced that all non-management positions will have their hours reduced to 28 a week. Gary Burdette, vice president of operations for the local franchise, says the cuts are coming because the new Affordable Health Care Act requires employers to offer health insurance to employees working 32-38 hours a week. Under the current law they are not considered full time and that as a small business owner, he can’t afford to stay in operation and pay for everyone’s health insurance.

Someone this clueless probably shouldn’t be allowed to prepare food for human consumption anyway.

Print Friendly
This entry was posted in Healthcare and tagged , , , . Bookmark the permalink.
  • Victor_the_Crab

    “GAAAAAAALT!!!!!”

      If only……..They can all get on a cruise ship and sail off into the blue together to find their Galtian paradise where they would go cannibal within a month and utterly destroy each other by 6 months.

  • http://simplelittleelectrician.blogspot.com/ paleotectonics

    Someone this clueless probably shouldn’t be allowed to prepare food for human consumption anyway.

    Dude can’t make money in a fast food restaurant? Someone this clueless needs someone around him at all times to remind him to blink.

  • http://twitter.com/scifritz scifritz

    I am trying to think of a better solution in our current framework of employment and affordable healthcare are tightly coupled. If we have full-time fast food workers, it would make them too expensive. I hate FF and personally wish they would go away but they do fill a need for many – cheap fast food. Maybe the end game is to get them out of business via high cost making healthy choices a better option – which I am all for in theory, But that would lead to less people working with not even a shitty income to help, not to mention benefits. Which is why…

    The better solution would be a more universal or single payer where employer is completely removed from the picture. But in our current framework, I really do not have a problem with companies, especially companies who staff jobs that are more part-time than full-time. A burger flipper, fryer, cashier are not full-time jobs and really shouldn’t be, unless these jobs are seriously part of a development program leading to management positions, etc, But we can only have so many fast fodo managers…

    I wish these people could get benefits, in fact I would be willing to add to my taxes about $1000 / year (also assuming my current costs would also be changed from premiums to taxes) to fund such a system. But I can’t be mad at the fast food chains or Wal-Mart for cutting back on hours (will they hire more people with the lesser hours?) – many other things tick me off about them though.

    Looks like I have to add Wendy’s to Papa Johns, Appelbees, and Domino’s as places to boycott. I am doing it and I am encouraging others to do the same.

    • Victor_the_Crab

      Easy enough for me. I boycotted them a long time ago because they were unhealthy places of suck.

  • Draxiar

    Maybe someone can explain something to me on this. The ACA states that employers of a given size must provide health insurance. Does the ACA state that employers have to pay for part of it? Or does it simply have to be available through employment and the full cost could rest on the employee?
    Can anyone give me some direction on this?

  • GrafZeppelin127

    I don’t know which group of people pisses me off more: The business owners who are doing this out of pure greed, spite and cynicism, or the GOP fans who are telling us that we “were warned” that this sort of thing would happen if we re-elected President Obama. Really? We “were warned” about what our wealthy feudal lords would do to us if we failed to accede to their wishes? What country/century is this again?

  • Zen Diesel

    Although it’s been a few years for me, I remember working for a job that I truly loved “IT department for a public library” for 37 hours a week. I was one of those “evil” public employees, with none of the benefits “the city cute workaround”. It frustrated me to no end that I wasn’t eligible for benefits, and that I had to chose between staying with a job I loved versus looking for something with benefits. I ultimately left for a job that I ended up hating, but I had benefits…lol. I hope the bad press, will make the restaurants reverse course.

  • jeanne marie

    And if health insurance weren’t employer based then all of this would go away. What a stupid system.