Yep, the Far-Right is as Crazy as Ever

Remember when George W. Bush crashed his bike into a tree, or fell off the Segway, or choked on a pretzel? Yeah, we all do. But do you remember any of the top-shelf liberals in the news media claiming that any of those incidents were related to a broader conspiracy to cover up potentially criminal behavior? I don’t. The reaction on the left was mainly laughter — I mean, who falls off a Segway?

But if you need yet another example of why the Republican Party is utterly screwed, take a look at the latest conspiracy theory coming from some of the party’s leading spokespeople on television and the radio: Hillary Clinton evidently faked her concussion and the blood clot in her head in order to avoid testimony about Benghazi.

Yes, they’re still on Benghazi, and, worse yet, they’re still marketing in Clinton conspiracy theories. And no, the party will never change its messaging because the yayhoos like Laura Ingraham and Sean Hannity won’t let it happen ever.

John Boehner did the right thing and allowed the vote on the fiscal cliff deal and it was predictably greeted with demands for his head on a plate — served up with a side of tater-tots to Sarah Palin and her 90 children. Meanwhile, party extremists prevented a vote on Sandy relief — until Chris Christie shamed them out of their tone-deafness. They also allowed the Violence Against Women Act to die without a House vote.

This is the sound of a party that’s rapidly self-destructing.

Print Friendly
This entry was posted in Republican Party and tagged , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.
  • KABoink_after_wingnut_hacker

    The republicans manage their followers by ignoring facts with a healthy dose of fear & delusion. It’s their tried a true formula which works well with their media wing hyping it 24/7.
    And, they fear Hillary Clinton. Boy do they fear Hillary.
    This is just a pre-emptive wingnut strike to the dwindling teabagger base with no basis in reality, so what else is new?

  • Draxiar

    Honestly, I think people are catching on to their bullshit…and they don’t like the way it smells.

    Sad, though how they keep beating the drum of Benghazi but ignore the cries of Sandy Hook.

  • http://twitter.com/MattCaci Matt Caci

    While I agree with the overall post, in regards to the “Who falls off a Segway?” question it should be noted that Jimi Heselden, owner of Segway Inc, fell of a Segway and died in 2010.

    • http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=610412721 Betty Coppola

      The British businessman who owns the Segway company was killed when he drove one of his famous two-wheeled scooters right off a cliff.

  • West_of_the_Cascades

    A party that is rapidly self-destructing, yes, but that has a tremendous potential for taking the country down in flames with it. We’re stuck with the Republican-safe congressional districts until the 2020 reapportionment … is there any real prospect that the fracturing of the House Republicans over the most recent budget fix bill — where a handful of relatively sane Republicans voted with the overwhelming majority of Democrats — could become a workable governing feature? Or is the entire party so far gone off the edge that we’ll see six more years of utter disfunction until the next congressional reapportionment?

    I am so sick of seeing a non-functioning government that I was happy to see a piece of legislation approved (the recent so-called “fiscal cliff” bill) even if the legislation was substantively disappointing. But now even the process for passing legislation is broken (in both houses of Congress) because of the Republican nihilism and the refusal of most of the elected members of that party in Congress to actually govern the country and write its laws.

    And seeing how the dominant part of the party takes out its guns (metaphorically) and lays down a carpet of fire against other members of that party who try to take seriously the idea that they were elected to govern if those (relatively) responsible Republicans deviate from the far-right agenda makes me very depressed about what the next six years will look like.

    • GrafZeppelin127

      It’s because after decades of failure, and the catastrophe that was the George W. Bush presidency, the only response Republicans had or could have to the election of a Democratic president was to completely reject and oppose the very notion of even having a government in the first place, let alone actually governing. There is a Democrat in the White House, therefore government in all possible form and meaning is absolutely and unequivocally bad, and should be avoided, castigated and obliterated at all times and at all costs.

      I’m sure they’ll be willing, ready and able to govern again as soon as there’s a Republican president.

      • BuffaloBuckeye

        Republicans don’t want to govern; they want to rule, preferably by fiat.

  • zirgar

    The GOP – futureproofing America.

    “Hillary Clinton evidently faked her concussion and the blood clot in her head in order to avoid testimony about Benghazi.”

    They’re after Hillary because they are trying to get ahead of the 2016 election.

    +Benghazi. Because, you know, every Democratic president must be associated with a scandal, and they still hate The Black Man with a freaking passion.

  • JozefAL

    @Matt Caci: Well, he didn’t really die simply from “falling off a Segway.” His death was more likely the result of the drop he took after he lost control of the Segway (the Segway plunged off a cliff). Also, Heselden was riding in a fairly rugged area of countryside whereas Bush’s tumble was on a driveway in front of his family’s Kennebunkport home.

  • GrafZeppelin127

    I should note that as of 12 noon today, I am no longer rep’d by Pete King. Gerrymandering isn’t all bad.

  • Michael Schwartz

    I totally fell off of a segway once. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vCHEf79SZSA

  • D_C_Wilson

    According to Mush-Mouth Imus’ sidekick, it’s all Hillary’s fault for being a Clinton. Yes, they hate Hillary and fear the possibility that she could win in 2016. Benghazi is a dream come true for the republicans, since they can attack both a Clinton and the scary black man who won’t leave their White House.

    I really, really hope she runs and wins in 2016, if only because the number of conservative strokes it would trigger.