34,000 U.S. Troops to Withdraw This Year

Last month President Obama indicated that U.S. withdrawal from Afghanistan would soon accelerate and, according to USA Today, he will confirm as much tonight during his State of the Union Address.

President Obama plans to announce Tuesday that 34,000 more U.S. troops will be home from Afghanistan at this time next year, said people familiar with his State of the Union speech.

That would reduce the American military presence in Afghanistan by about half, and maintain the schedule to end the U.S. combat mission within two years.

Obama will also say that reductions will continue through the end of 2014 as Afghans take responsibility for their own security.

While I will praise this announcement, I expect the Far Right will say it’s too soon, and the Far Left will say it’s too late.

This entry was posted in Afghanistan, Foreign Policy, President Obama and tagged . Bookmark the permalink.
  • bphoon

    I expect the Far Right will say it’s too soon, and the Far Left will say it’s too late.

    Generally speaking, when a decision pisses off both extremes, I’d say it’s a pretty good one.

  • yagistan@nomail.net

    from some people i know who have actually been on the ground in helmund and other ‘yagisatani’ provinces… the draw down will work if we learn how to help the afghani (pastso and pastwali) tribes help themselves.

    study the words of a silver star’ed green beret <>and then http://www.veteranstoday.com/2010/03/13/khalil-nouri-afghanistan-revision-to-major-jim-gants-doctrine-%E2%80%9Cone-tribe-at-a-time%E2%80%9D/

    if we dont follow this approach then both far-out there’s will be right at the same time. it WILL be both too soon and not soon enough!