Alabama Does the Nullification Dance

Not to be left out of the fruitless crusade to preemptively nullify federal law that does not yet exist, Alabama legislators are showing their hand.

The Alabama legislature is considering an unconstitutional bill that would make it a felony for federal law officers to enforce any bans on semi-automatic weapons or high-capacity magazines in the state — a measure that, its author insists, would be good for the state’s economy, or at least its gun manufacturers.

State Sen. Shadrack McGill’s (R) legislation would specifically exempt guns that were manufactured, sold, and owned within Alabama’s borders from federal laws. It would also classify anyone who did try to enforce federal laws as a Class C Felon. McGill thinks that such a law amounts to state stimulus, since creates an impetus for manufacturers to reap profit in the state.

Withdrawing from the burden of federal law to make a profit. That sounds familiar, doesn’t it? If you see fit to ignore federal laws regulating firearms to turn a profit, what would stop you from ignoring others? Nothing. That’s why it’s unconstitutional.

I’m sure the overcompensating nature of pumping your chest and thumbing your nose at The Man is quite fulfilling, but if congress chooses to pass laws restricting access to certain weapons or high-capacity magazines, Alabama and other states considering nullification will have no choice but to comply.

They could sue the federal government, and I suspect they will, but they will lose.

Print Friendly
This entry was posted in Guns and tagged , , . Bookmark the permalink.
  • http://www.facebook.com/people/Douglas-Jones/1039564193 Douglas Jones

    BUT IT’S GOOD POLITICS!!!
    Gee, these people are stupid mules and intensely unlikeable, Part 3,254.

  • JWheels

    good ol’ Shadrack

  • Victor_the_Crab

    Shadrack?!!! What the fuck kind of name is Shadrack?

    • D_C_Wilson

      Shadrach was in the Book of Daniel. He was one of three people who refused to bow down to the golden idol of King Nebuchadnezzar II. They were sentenced to execution by being throwing into a furnace. Like Daniel, they miraculously survived.

      Shadrack McGill is most likely from a family hard religious righties.

  • D_C_Wilson

    I actually hope one of these laws does pass just so we can see the huge bitch slap from courts.