American Sniper, Chris Kyle, Shot And Killed in Texas

It just doesn’t stop.

New York Times:

The authorities in Texas said a man had been charged in the shooting deaths of a former Navy SEAL, and author of “American Sniper,” Chris Kyle, and a second man at a Texas gun range. Sgt. Lonny Haschel with Texas Department of Public Safety said Sunday in a statement that Eddie Ray Routh, 25, of Lancaster was arraigned late Saturday on two counts of capital murder.

Chris Kyle and a neighbor, Chad Littlefield, were at the shooting range trying to help a fellow soldier, Eddie Routh– a former Marine suffering with post traumatic stress syndrome, at the time they were both shot and killed.

After he shot his friends, Eddie Routh fled and took off in Chris Kyle’s truck. He was apprehended after a brief police chase.

ABC News:

Kyle, 39, served four tours in Iraq and was awarded two Silver Stars, five Bronze Stars with Valor, two Navy and Marine Corps Achievement Medals, and one Navy and Marine Corps Commendation.

From 1999 to 2009, Kyle recorded more than 150 sniper kills, the most in U.S. military history.

I’m not sure what a heavily decorated Navy SEAL sniper could have done in this instance. All that training and life experience could not save him from the horrors of domestic gun violence in America. What hope do the rest of us have?

Print Friendly
This entry was posted in Guns, Iraq, Military, WTF and tagged , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.
  • http://www.facebook.com/people/Douglas-Jones/1039564193 Douglas Jones

    Concern for the family and friends left behind by this tragedy comes first.
    Acknowledgement that the stupid, stupid NRA talking point that “people are never shot at firing ranges and gunshows WHYISTHATHUHHUH!!” has now been proven wrong multiple times in the last month comes next.

  • http://www.facebook.com/FStevenHolt F Steven Holt

    This is another absolute tragedy, but doesn’t it 100% invalidate the new NRA slogan “the only thing that will stop a bad guy with a gun is a good guy with a gun”? I mean… If you’re not safe at a gun range, with navy Seals, in TEXAS of all places, you’re really not safe from gun violence anywhere…

  • Victor_the_Crab

    Soon, we’ll have the Right Wing Entertainment Complex™ (or, NAMBLA) explaining that Eddie Ray Routh was a willing and able stooge for the Obama administration. And that not only was he trying to undermind the arguments for the beloved NRA and other noble gun rights groups, but that he also killed, in cold blood, a real decorated American hero in Chris Kyle because Obama – the Kenyan born Muslim radicalist – hates America so passionatly.

    • muselet

      Sadly, you’re probably right.

    I’m not sure what a heavily decorated Navy SEAL sniper could have done in this instance.

    Cue dozens (hundreds, if we’re talking about the comments at HuffPo) of gun fetishists: “Well, if it wuz me, I’d'a got the drop on the guy.”

    –alopecia

  • JimmyAbra

    This goes to show most violence is done by people who the victim knows. People are willing to get shot/or delaying shooting someone they know but will shoot first and decide later to anyone they don’t even if they pose no threat…that is a big issue in the “guns to protect myself” thought…