Bobby Jindal Says Another Thing That Will Get Him in Trouble

Not long after Louisiana Governor Bobby Jindal said the Republican party cannot afford to be the “stupid party,” his approval rating among his own base of supporters plummeted. Now Governor Howdy Doody has done it again, and this trespass may be even more egregious.

“Balancing our government’s books is not what matters most … (It’s) a nice goal, but that shouldn’t be our primary objective,” Jindal told a packed ballroom at the Renaissance Grand in downtown St. Louis for the Missouri Republican Party’s Lincoln Days.

“We must not become the party of austerity. We must become the party of (economic) growth,” Jindal said. “We have fallen into a trap of believing the world revolves around Washington.” [...]

“As conservatives, we are falling into these sideshow traps” instead of hammering at the message of economic growth, said Jindal. “We seem to have an obsession with government bookkeeping.”

We can’t be the stupid party, and we can’t be the party of austerity? What does that leave for Republicans?

I will delight in Bobby Jindal’s self-immolation in front of the Lunatic Base of the Republican party, and for what it’s worth, his assessment is more or less correct, but I have to wonder who is advising him.

Who among his advisers is gullible enough to believe that this kind of talk will play well with his own base, potential primary voters, or the establishment? He’s already offended his base by calling them stupid, and now he’s questioning the merits of austerity, something the establishment wing of the Republican party is beholden to.

I’ve seen no evidence that suggests Republicans are ready to accept responsibility for their faults or commit to moving in a new direction. They may have settled on the fact that they aren’t willing to blow up the economy through default to fully realize their grand designs of austerity, but the buck stops there. Even now some Republican senators are calling for dismantling Obamacare to avoid sequestration.

Bobby Jindal is very concerned

This entry was posted in Epic Fail, Stupid Party and tagged , , , . Bookmark the permalink.
  • Christopher Foxx

    So… folks go on at some length about how the Republicans need to change their policies or they’ll find themselves increasingly obsolete. But when an actual Republican actually says that, we’re to delight in their self-immolation and criticize them for not playing more to their base?

    Seems to me the better course would be to praise Jindal for arguing for a better Republican party. A relevant, reasonable second party (loyal opposition) would be a good thing.

      We have our reasons. First and foremost, people like Jindal usually are contradicting things they supposedly believed in and campaigned on in the past. Of course, no politician is free of this problem but some are much worse than others. Second, Jindal’s loss of base support illustrates something that the Mainstream Media and most Americans haven’t yet realized–that the GOP has become so radicalized that they have nothing to offer the country. These kinds of stories just might force America to wake up and see what’s really going on. Third, schadenfreude, particularly since Jindal and others have been riding high for so long on that frothing frenzied base. So now the base he used to whip into a lather are now turning on him? Of course we’re delighted! Maybe that will teach him not to poke crazy people with a stick. Fourth, in the short term it means Dems might win more elections. That’s just plain politics. Fifth and final, in the long term the more Americans realize how radical the GOP has become the sooner they will be forced to move back into the sane world and join the rest of us for the good of the nation. We just ain’t there yet and so we’re enjoying his loss of popularity. Makes perfect sense to me.

      • Christopher Foxx

        Fifth and final, in the long term the more Americans realize how radical the GOP has become the sooner they will be forced to move back into the sane world and join the rest of us for the good of the nation.

        And whenever a member of the GOP shows signs of moving back into the sane world …

        So now the base he used to whip into a lather are now turning on him? Of course we’re delighted!

        … we should delight in the mob turning on him and join in the attacks.

        Having them move back into the sane world is good for the nation, and we must discourage them whenever they do that.

        Got it.

        (Look , I do get what you’re saying. There *is* a certain enjoyment in watching someone who’s been destructive reap the fruit of their labors. We like it when the hyenas turn on Scar. But there’s a point where we join in their hypocrisy and become exactly what we’re complaining about: harmful to the nation. It’s on thing to report on Jindal’s fall in popularity and note that this is what happens. It’s another to join in the attack.)

          Here’s where we disagree. You actually think Jindal is moving back into the sane world and I don’t. I think he is being his usual disingenuous self and the minute it is to his advantage to gin up controversy using his frothy base, he will. To repeat Mr. Brink’s link comment: http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/plum-line/wp/2013/02/18/bobby-jindals-rise-shows-that-gop-reform-is-all-cosmetic/

          • Christopher Foxx

            Well, given how his recent comments have been received, I’d be surprised if the DIDN’T rush back to the Republican base. Why wouldn’t he? Stepping away from them has certainly drawn fire from both his base and folks on the left.

            Which is partly why I’m advocating that any attempt by someone on the right to be more sane should be embraced by the left. Even if (and I suspect you’re somewhat right here) he’s being disingenuous.

            Which is better? Member of the GOP insincerely makes sane comments, gets beaten from all sides and forced to return to the wingnut fringe. Member of the GOP insincerely makes sane comments, gets some support from moderates, and starts to realize that, while it’s going to piss off some of the base, there’s a possibility they could emerge as a leader in a more popular Republican party if they stop being insincere and actually mean it.

            Seems to me, beating up Jindal, even if he is being disingenuous, just perpetuates the problem. “Gosh I wish they’d be sane. But at the first sign of sanity I’m going to help drive them back to the crazy fringe.”

            Now who’s being disingenuous?

            I hear what you’re saying and I will concede that you might be right IF Jindal had any intention of really trying or caring to be in the “sane” part of reality. However, I’m not being disingenuous when I say I wish they’d come back to the world the rest of us live in. I just want them to REALLY come back and not pretend for some temporary gain because temporary BS isn’t going to move the window back to normal….not after all these years of stoking the crazy. If I am reading correctly you think even a temporary and superficial move to sanity is better than nothing and I disagree. Not much more to say on it.

          • mrbrink

            I am totally with you on this.

          • mrbrink

            “beating up Jindal, even if he is being disingenuous, just perpetuates the problem”

            That could be the most ridiculous thing I’ve ever read on this blog. So, you’d rather be bullshitted and lied to because you think it will, what? give this party’s base a sane coat of clown paint?

            Change the language, but continue to execute the policies? I’m not interested in right wing crazies of the base learning from Bobby Jindal how to get away with instituting right wing conservatism on state and federal levels by toning down their words and mainstreaming their “forcible rape” obsessions with a G-rated stamp of approval.

            Your mistake is thinking, assuming, that Bobby Jindal is sane because he recognizes how unpopular conservative republican policies are and wants the party to survive their self-implosion.

          • Christopher Foxx

            That could be the most ridiculous thing I’ve ever read on this blog.

            You must be new to the blogosphere. ;-)

            So, you’d rather be bullshitted and lied to because you think it will, what? give this party’s base a sane coat of clown paint?

            No. But when a politician is being insincere and bullshitting becuase they think it makes them look good, I think a more productive response would be: “Hey, I know you’re just bullshitting and don’t mean what you’re saying. But if you actually DO what you’re talking about it would actually work out well for you.”

          • Christopher Foxx

            I’m not interested in right wing crazies of the base learning from Bobby Jindal how to get away with instituting right wing conservatism on state and federal levels by toning down their words

            Neither am I. Nor did I ever say I wanted to enable them to institute right wing policies. What I’ve actually said (several times) is exactly the opposite. When they start talking in support of more left wing policies, I want to encourage them to do more than just talk about them, to actually implement them. TO actually implement left leaning policies.

          • mrbrink

            I don’t care for your encouragement or how you’re trying to encourage the GOP to realizing control of the three branches of government. Not in my lifetime. I’ve seen enough. I’m not playing psychological warfare and positive reinforcement of a lie, or a bullshit public relations pitch, especially with a party of socially inept degenerates. Bobby Jindal’s only trying to save his party from foot in mouth. It’s a public relations ploy, not a policy relations ploy.

            What you’ve said throughout this thread is that you’re willing to encourage disingenuous rhetoric in the hopes that it leads to your desired outcome.

            But you keep it up, and maybe Bobby Jindal will be your next president leading a republican party that regained power because you gave them the benefit of the doubt because they’ve tried so hard to keep their sadistic nature to themselves.

            CPAC is coming up next month. Should remind you why you’re out of line encouraging Bobby Jindal’s desperate play for power.

          • Christopher Foxx

            I don’t care for your encouragement or how you’re trying to encourage the GOP to realizing control of the three branches of government.

            Well, then it’s fortunate that that isn’t what I’m trying to do.

            I’d explain that to you (again), but clearly your mind is closed.

          • mrbrink

            You’re only partially correct. My mind only closed the moment you said:

            “Seems to me, beating up Jindal, even if he is being disingenuous, just perpetuates the problem. “Gosh I wish they’d be sane. But at the first sign of sanity I’m going to help drive them back to the crazy fringe.”"

            And added:

            “Now who’s being disingenuous?”

            And please allow me to clarify my earlier remarks– this is the most ridiculous thing I’ve ever read on this blog from someone who should know a ridiculous statement when they read one. Like Irishgrrrl, I hear what you’re trying to say. The difference is I don’t have any interest in meeting a ridiculous argument halfway for the sake of politeness.

          • Christopher Foxx

            The difference is I don’t have any interest in meeting a ridiculous argument halfway for the sake of politeness.

            Or in actually engaging in discussion of what was actually said when it’s easier to misrepresent what was said and just start hurling insults. I’ll leave you to it then.

          • mrbrink

            Oh, no. I engaged in discussion with you. But you arguing that it is better to encourage Bobby Jindal’s disingenuous words to put a smiley face on lunacy for the sake of some has-been loyal opposition is not only condescending to the institution of democracy, but doing their public relations homework for them is cheating. This is how we got Reagan! And Bush! and a Supreme Court that wants to ban abortion and the civil rights act!

            Let these flim-flammers figure out where they stand on “forcible rape” legislation and keep coming back to tell us about their big ideas for Medicare and Social Security, or national security and balancing budgets. I love the part where they say they know what the American people want and do the exact opposite time and time again.

            You’re not going to save Bobby Jindal, or the Grand Old Confederacy, nor should you want to. But in the future, you shouldn’t insinuate that someone is being disingenuous because they’re calling bullshit on a disingenuous Bobby Jindal and company. It’s weak.

          • Christopher Foxx

            You’re not going to save Bobby Jindal, or the Grand Old Confederacy, nor should you want to.

            Arguing, again, that I shouldn’t be in favor of things I’ve already clearly said I’m not in favor of.

  • cheeriogirl

    Gov. Jindal is right. Too bad he’ll be ostracized for speaking the truth!

    Political self immolation is always a fun thing, especially with the tea party gang. A circular firing squad is also a progressive crowd pleaser. However, in Jindal’s situation, Ashby, I don’t think that progressives can have it both ways. While we are all aghast sometimes about how these crazy bastards think and talk, we (progressives who do not want a single party system) are pleading for the day when the crazies will go away or shut-up and Republicans with reason will step-up. I don’t know if that is what Howdy Doody is attempting here, but one thing is for sure: He is going to being to be ostracized and beaten by the lunatics in his party. But when a republican points out that he does not want to be a party of austerity, that is slowly approaching a statement with some smarts.

    • Christopher Foxx

      Seems to me a wise move by folks who want a working, effective government would be to help Jindal get some accomplishments that would help him get some support from the rational Republicans. Assuming Jindal isn’t all hypocrisy (“We can’t be the party of austerity!” while implementing austerity measures in his state.) then helping bolster someone from the rational side of the GOP would help further sideline the crazies.

      Of course, alas, a wise move by the Democrats would be to do the opposite. To help douse any occasional lights of sanity on the right. Helping the wingnuts continue to control the Republican party means the Dems have less viable opposition.

  • rozlee

    This last may hurt him more than calling Republicans stupid. After all, Santorum called Republicans stupid and got a round of applause. Being called stupid is highly complimentary to a Republican.

  • Treading_Water

    Maybe he’s getting a sense of the looming irrelevance of his party and is laying the groundwork for a party switch for 2016.

      Darnit, I missed “they’re being insincere” in my list of reasons to enjoy Howdy Doody’s race to the bottom! As usual Mr. Brink, you nailed it.

    Nice to hear Jindal saying we shouldn’t shoot ourselves in the foot with austerity. What actions is he taking to prevent this from happening? He is taking actions to prevent this from happening, right?

    • cowboyinbrla

      Nope. in fact, he’s imposed increasing austerity here at home, to disastrous results – year after year of higher education funding cuts for one thing, massive cuts to health care for another. He may be preaching sensible things on the national stage but he has no credentials to back those up on the local scene – as Louisianians know all too well. Which is why in recent polls he’s tanked.