Indiana GOP: We Were Just Kidding About Requiring TWO Vaginal Probes

But you’ll still have to have at least one to satisfy Republicans in the statehouse.

INDIANAPOLIS — A proposed requirement that doctors must try to perform a second ultrasound exam on women after they received abortion-inducing drugs was dropped Monday by the Indiana Senate. [...]

Sen. Ron Alting, R-Lafayette, sponsored the move to drop the second ultrasound and replace it with a requirement that doctors perform “appropriate testing.” Alting said that would give doctors the option of performing blood or urine tests on their patients.

“I think that physicians know a little bit more about that particular area than legislators,” Alting said.

Physicians know more about “that particular area” than legislators? Ya’ don’t say?

If Ron Alting and Indiana Republicans were actually relying on the word of physicians, they would know that even one transvaginal ultrasound is unwarranted and unnecessary.

Democratic lawmakers proposed a series of amendments yesterday that would have mandated physical exams before a doctor could prescribe boner pills, but they were defeated by the impotent Republican majority who are on a crusade to preserve patriarchy.

This entry was posted in Abortion, War On Women and tagged , . Bookmark the permalink.
  • bphoon

    And here I thought that unnecessary and frivolous medical tests were one of the drivers of spiraling health care costs in this country…

  • drsquid

    Ron Alting at one time was my state senator. He’s actually a – Dun dun duuuunnn – moderate Republican. Rare, inorite? When he was on the Lafayette City Council, was the deciding vote in favor of including LGBT citizens in the nondiscrimination ordinance, and took a bit of heat for that.

    • D_C_Wilson

      Hey, cutting from two medically unnecessary transvaginal ultrasounds down to one is the moderate Republican position these days.

  • D_C_Wilson

    “I think that physicians know a little bit more about that particular area than legislators,” Alting said.

    Because Jeebus knows republicans are fucking clueless when it comes to “that particular area” on a woman’s body.