Nice Things And Why We Can’t Have Them

The federal deficit has been reduced during every fiscal year since President Obama took office beginning with fiscal 2010, but you wouldn’t know it if you asked the average American.

via Steve Benen

Deficit Poll

A 62% majority believe the deficit is getting bigger, 28% believe the deficit is staying roughly the same, and only 6% believe the deficit is shrinking.

In other words, in the midst of a major national debate over America’s finances, 90% of Americans are wrong about the one basic detail that probably matters most in the conversation, while only 6% — 6%! — are correct.

There’s a simple explanation for this — the traditional media has utterly failed at their job of informing the public. Because while they’re complaining about being unable to accompany the president during his golf game with Tiger Woods, they’re engaging in lazy journalism by accepting talking points at face value.

To do otherwise would just be liberal media bias, right? Maintaining access is a higher priority than being curious.

The View From Nowhere, which says we should let viewers decide what the truth is rather than report the truth, is poisonous to the electorate.

This entry was posted in Poll, President Obama and tagged , , . Bookmark the permalink.
  • KABoink_after_wingnut_hacker

    I’d be willing to bet that a similar percentage of Americans don’t know the difference between the budget deficit and the national debt either.
    With the exception of Fox News and rightwing radio, it’s absolutely astounding how our “for ratings” broadcast news establishment has utterly failed in the basics of their job to inform the public.
    The reason I separate out Fox and rightwing radio is because their business model IS to deliberately misinform their audience which they are very successful at, while the rest of our corporate media is just lazy and incompetent.

  • bphoon

    The View From Nowhere, which says we should let viewers decide what the
    truth is rather than report the truth, is poisonous to the electorate.

    I couldn’t have said it better myself. The only thing I might add is that it’s poisonous to the nation as well. We need to start making more noise, demanding the traditional media tell the whole story and start reporting actual facts.

    What does the other 4% think? Are they in the “don’t know” category?

  • msadesign

    Reminds me of the whining on Reliable Sources last week. Journalists just can’t get over themselves and wonder why the WH bypasses them– this is one reason why. (Oh, and people remember a little run-up called ‘Iraq’, but that’s another story).

    The so-called MS media just covers politics. Nothing else, really.

  • janefromhell

    Saw this. It smacked my gob.