No, Obama Is Not ‘Worse Than Bush’ on National Security

My Monday column:

Just when I thought it was safe to carry on a conversation on the left about various Obama administration policies, the phrases "same as Bush" or "worse than Bush" have skulked back into popular use thanks to the leaked Office of Legal Counsel white paper on the targeted killing of terrorist combatants who were born in the U.S.

As with last week, I’m going to start a Monday column with a word about something from Real Time with Bill Maher the other night. Maher brought out The Daily Beast‘s Tina Brown who, during a segment about drones, said, “[Obama] would be impeached by now on drones, if he were W. Bush. Don’t you think?” And then she somewhat backed off the impeachment talk and continued, “If this were a Republican president, the outcry about drones would be far greater.”

First of all, I’m shocked that Tina Brown doesn’t know. There’s a huge outcry about drones and OLC white paper. [continue reading here]

This entry was posted in President Obama, The Daily Banter, Worse than Bush and tagged , , . Bookmark the permalink.
  • ranger11

    And who the fuck is Tina Brown?! These dumb ahistorical fucks think history began with Bush and ended with Obama. Now W. Bush is the dude all presidents should be judged by for all eternity. Historically speaking he resides next to Hoover and Buchanan. Bushie boy did so much shit that if drones were added to the list I’d be like you’re bothering me about this crap with all the rest we have to deal with about him? Tina Brown can sink underneath the London Bridges as far as I’m concerned.

    Very nicely written, especially the end. And I wholeheartedly agree.

      Thanks!

  • KABoink_after_wingnut_hacker

    How the hell did us liberal progressives create our own far left teabag party without our own faux snooze at the helm?

  • trgahan

    “If this were a Republican president, the outcry about drones would be far greater.”
    Clearly Ms. Brown is forgetting what happened to journalist, politicians, CIA operatives, and/or anyone who questioned the foreign policy practices of the G. W. Bush administration.
    Also, if it were a Republican presidency, the conservative entertainment complex would be running daily pro-drone pieces using the same “Jack Bauer fighting terrorists on 24” argument used to justify torture and indefinite detention. Anyone against drones would be painted “hating the troops!” and face huge backlashes.

  • MrDHalen

    Do people even listen to what they say anymore or apply the simplest of logic to their thoughts? I’m just so tired of the stupid.

    I really am tired of people demanding the President do the job of congress. Congress can end drones tomorrow! Congress can close Gitmo tomorrow! Congress can clean up Wall Street tomorrow!

    Our congress is a national disgrace right now and not because of the politicians working there, but because a sizable number of the American people have forgotten that when you look at congress, you’re looking in the mirror! Look in the mirror America!

  • i_a_c

    The guy who’s ending the wars is worse than the guy who started them; one of the two on false pretense.

    Yeah, that makes sense.

  • muselet

    Bob, as much as I agree with you, I have to point out that you gave Tina Brown exactly what she wanted: attention. In future, please give that useless woman the thorough and vigorous ignoring she deserves.

    Ugh! Tina Brown sucks at everything. How did this idiot get to where she is?

  • D_C_Wilson

    Tina Brown should stick to what she’s good at: Driving magazines into bankruptcy.

  • http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100000098740588 Jeremy Grunloh

    Manic-progressives love the drone angle for one simple reason: there aren’t any “troops” they can be accused of insufficiently “support”ing. The absolutist anti-war left is very sensitive to that charge; however, with drones, they’e innoculated from it. Hence, they can be as self-righteously anti-war as they’ve always dreamed of being.

  • mrbrink

    Best column on the internet.