Quote of the Day

If the Republicans are allowed to pull off this bit of trompe d’oeil, nothing about American politics will improve. They will be encouraged, as they have been for 40 years, to surround their retrograde policy ideas with misdirection and distraction, as they profit from nativism and xenophobia and paranoid fantasies while pretending they are not. Marco Rubio is merely a pretty new wrapper for most of the same ideas that Steve King expresses more baldly. He is — in every sense, now — a cover story. That shouldn’t be enough. -Charles Pierce on the GOP establishment’s rebranding effort

Here’s Time magazine’s stupefying cover

I’m old enough to remember when Paul Ryan and the Young Guns were the party’s saviors. Rubio will be no different. And when he delivers the Republican rebuttal to the president’s State of the Union Address, I expect he will have his own “volcano monitoring” moment.

This entry was posted in Quote and tagged , , . Bookmark the permalink.
  • http://twitter.com/MotorCityLib John Conner

    The only difference between Marco Rubio and Michele Bachmann: Rubio isn’t a wide eyed lunatic when he express his bad ideas.

    He is — in every sense, now — a cover story. That shouldn’t be enough.

    Yes, but this is America where surface is valued more than substance. And it is often enough.

    /edited to correct grammar

  • mrbrink

    Pardon me while I laugh and vomit at the same time.

    A real American media that doesn’t fuck around, or refuses to suffer this sad, recurring-fool turnstile of “pro-growth” rights-destroying conservative dweeb motherfuckers-in-suits would have had to fight it out in the editing room over the merits of being the first nationally published periodical to call a Republican Senator “a possible sociopath who will likely fuck your mother from near and far,” but ultimately settling for a more professional headline:

    “Conservatism’s New Trojan Horse.”

    If you like cowardly, edge-pruning intellects posing as mediators on behalf of heavily armed and intellectually violent hostage takers, then I suppose a manipulative little soft-selling fake like Marco Rubio will do for a media desperately throwing indiscriminate lifelines to the unabashed lying serial motherfucker of the day.

    • 1933john

      Too mild for my sentiment.

  • Chachizel

    To be honest with you, as a Latino small business owner in America, it offends the fuck out of me that these morons think that they can present Rubio as their token Latino, and get Americans like me to vote for them. Hell no….NO FUCKING WAY!! Same bad ideas…wrapped in brown wrapping. Sorry, but it just will not work. Excuse my language, but this really does piss me off

    • JMAshby

      Yes, but, he’s going to deliver the GOP rebuttal in Spanish! You mean that doesn’t make up for all their terrible policies? Huh

  • http://twitter.com/StevenSaidWhat Steven

    They simply don’t get it. It’s not the messenger. It’s the message. You can wrap it in a brown or black package, but the contents are the same, and the shit still stinks to a great majority of Americans.

    And what’s up with that ridiculously macho pose he’s striking, with his arms puffed out like W. used to do when he talked ’bout ‘Murca? I guess it doesn’t really matter anyway. No one reads Time anymore. I would’ve never even seen this cover if you hadn’t posted it here.

  • http://profiles.google.com/rollotamasi13 Rollo Tamasi

    If Rubio doesn’t throw up on himself, the beltway will proclaim “A Star is Born”.

    That might actually be a headline. The beltway boys want to be right in their prognostication. The Paul Ryan thing hasn’t panned out.