Quote of the Morning

“That’s the way reductions in liberty occur. When you start saying people all have to sign up for something, and they have a database where they know exactly who’s who, and where government can persecute people because of the database, that alarms a lot of people in our country, and it flies in the face of liberty.” Senator Orrin Hatch (R-Utah) on background checks for gun purchases

Uh-huh. Here’s what Orrin Hatch had to say about FISA:

Sen. Orrin Hatch (R-Utah) today joined 67 other Senators in voting to approve legislation to modernize the Foreign Intelligence Surveillance Act. The only Republican on both the Senate Judiciary and Intelligence committees, Hatch has delivered numerous speeches on the Senate floor in recent months, urging Congress to approve this legislation to modernize FISA.

“It is about time the opponents of this important legislation stand aside and allow the Senate to pass legislation which will protect the American people,” Hatch said. “This FISA modernization bill not only strengthens law enforcement, but it strengthens civil liberties as well. The intelligence community faces a daunting task every day to protect Americans and they deserve our support and assistance.”

Liberty, sir?

Print Friendly
This entry was posted in Guns and tagged , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.
  • Draxiar

    I wonder how he feels about airport security crawling up people’s asses with a microscope and making them throw away their Evian.

  • http://twitter.com/ExtremeLiberal ExtremeLiberal (Jim)

    I guess we need to do away with Social Security cards too & drivers licenses, because, you know….they are databases.

    • KABoink_after_wingnut_hacker

      Let’s not forget our passports that are scanned, money transfers that are monitored and our phones being wiretapped without warrents. Hatch doesn’t give a damn about our liberty, safety or freedom, he’s just taking good care of the gun lobby.

  • trgahan

    So why can’t Democrats use the same “if you’re not a criminal, you have nothing to worry about” arguement to make guns slightly more difficult to own that the GOP used to pass bills that really restricted our rights like the Patriot Act and similar legislation?

  • GrafZeppelin127

    Do we really need any more evidence that this whole government-tyranny-persecution-threat-to-liberty thing is nothing more than a feeling GOP fans get when Democrats win elections? Do we really need any more evidence that Republican feelings and expressions about government depend entirely on whether or not they’re currently in power? Do we really need any more evidence that Republican officeholders are performing the Greatest Improv Act of All Time?

    Actually, uhh, yes, so, never mind.

  • muselet

    Orrin Hatch has to say gibberish like that or else he’s going to get primaried out of his cushy sinecure like Bob Bennett.

    Well, plus he’s just a terrible human being.

    –alopecia