Republican Outreach

New Hampshire legislators are debating a bill that would “reduce simple assault from a misdemeanor crime to a violation-level offense in any case of “unprivileged physical contact” that “does not result in harm or injury.”

Why? You ask. Because, according to state Rep. Mark Warden, some people like being abused.

“Some people could make the argument that a lot of people like being in abusive relationships. It’s a love-hate relationship. It’s very, very common for people to stick around with somebody they love who also abuses him or her,” said Rep. Mark Warden, a Republican who represents Deering, Goffstown and Weare, during a meeting of the House Criminal Justice and Public Safety Committee, according to a video provided by Granite State Progress, a liberal advocacy group.

According to the video, Warden added, “Is the solution to those kind of dysfunctional relationships going to be more government, another law? I’d say no. People are always free to leave.”

The overwhelming majority of those who remain in abusive relationships do so because of the difficulty of leaving them. Passing a bill that would reduce the penalty for incidents of domestic violence only further increases the problem.

Unless I am reading this incorrectly, the bill would reduce penalties for assault as long as there are no visible bruises left behind. At least that seems to be the thinking of Rep. Frank Sapareto who introduced the bill because current law punishes assailants for “minor incidents where no harm was done.”

We should consider the possibility that Mark Warden and Frank Sapareto are simply projecting elements of their own lives into the debate.

This entry was posted in War On Women and tagged , , . Bookmark the permalink.

    These people are despicable toads who should not be anywhere near our government.

    jesus. christ.

  • bphoon

    We should consider the possibility that Mark Warden and Frank Sapareto
    are simply projecting elements of their own lives into the debate.

    Or that they’re just misogynistic cocksuckers who have absolutely no understanding of human nature and even less of basic human emotions such as compassion and empathy. Or that they’re just as stupid as they sound. There’s always that.

    • Scopedog

      Definitely agree.

  • muselet

    Warden, who is serving his second term in the House, declined yesterday to discuss his remarks, which Democrats and others quickly circulated in a truncated form on Twitter and Facebook.

    “I’m sure it was taken out of context, but that’s all I’m going to say about it,” Warden said.

    In what imaginable context is what Mark Warden said appropriate?

    Sapareto has said the current law is too draconian, punishing people for minor incidents where no harm was done.

    Because what’s a little assault between victim and abuser, amirite?

    And then there’s this:

    “It was never my intention to minimize the trauma of domestic abuse or in any way demean the victims. I find violence abhorrent,” said Warden, a Republican who represents Deering, Goffstown and Weare, in a statement. “How the state gets involved in people’s personal lives is a topic that requires thoughtful debate and should not be reduced to sound bites. To those whom may have been offended, I offer my sincere apology.”

    “How the state gets involved in people’s personal lives”? Nobody is that clueless. Nobody.

    And notice the “I’m sorry that you’re offended” apology on offer.

    –alopecia

    • Scopedog

      “”How the state gets involved in people’s personal lives”? Nobody is that clueless. Nobody.”

      Unfortunately, it seems that Warden is that clueless–and then some.

      • muselet

        You may be right, but I still vote vicious and lacking empathy rather than oblivious and dumb as a sack of hair.

      On behalf of women everywhere, he can take that apology and shove it up his rear end

      • Christopher Foxx

        Would that be a government-mandated rectal probe?

          Yes, and remember, they have to do two of them, one BEFORE the asinine comment and one AFTER. ;)

    Holy crap the ugliness of that reductive reasoning is stunning!