Republicans Are Dominating State Politics, Destroying Science

My Thursday column:

Many of us are enjoying our post-election schadenfreude, observing as the Republican Party increasingly marginalizes itself, demographically and politically, and scrambles to cut a narrowing path to the White House while also attempting to shove the tea party demon back into its cage.

Yet at the same time, we’re hearing more and more about all varieties of insanity at the state and local level where the party has been cultivating its power base for decades. Strategically, it’s a fantastic back-door to exploit.

While Washington is the primary focus of our national attention, and the president’s re-election victory offers the facade of Democratic dominance, Republicans in many states have been able to operate mostly unopposed.

I don’t mean to be a Debbie Downer here, but let’s do the list. [continue reading here]

This entry was posted in Science, The Daily Banter and tagged , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.
  • muselet

    Reality is whatever refuses to go away when I stop believing in it. –Philip K. Dick

    I see no reason to do more than point to my comment from Tuesday on the proposed law in Oklahoma.

    The proposed Kansas law makes as little sense as the proposed Oklahoma law. Science classes in K-12 education are overviews, showing how science is done in a (deliberately over-) simplified way. Current scientific debates are mentioned, but they’re hardly a major component of science classes. What’s next, demanding equal time for phlogiston theory?

    And the Orwellian-named “Missouri Standard Science Act” so badly misdefines basic scientific concepts as to make the legislators in Oklahoma and Kansas look rational. If Missouri State Representative Rick Brattin (R-Loony Bin) is a “science enthusiast.…a huge science buff”, then I’m 23 years old and have a full head of hair.

    –alopecia