Scientists Create Zombie Cells

Yes, really.

Biological researchers have created dead ‘zombie’ cells in the lab which outperform living cells.

Seriously.

A team at Sandia National Laboratories and the University of New Mexico have innovated a technique whereby mammalian cells are coated with silica to form a near-perfect replicas.

The silica replicants can survive greater pressures and temperatures than flesh, and perform many functions better than the original cells did when alive.

By painting the cells with silicic acid in a petri dish, the acid embalms the organic matter in the cell down to the nanometer level.

What could possibly go wrong? I love you, science, but sometimes you scare the piss out of me. Your zombie cells and your DARPA robots, for instance.

This entry was posted in Science and tagged . Bookmark the permalink.
  • http://twitter.com/dyna_chem_net Jay T. Goodwin

    And if the cells are glial cells from brain, then you could make zombie cannibal cells! Zombies love braaaainnnnssss!

    ” I love you, science, but sometimes you scare the piss out of me.”

    x2

  • Scopedog

    This could be the basis of one hell of a technothriller in the tradition of Michael Chricton…

    But I gotta ask–what is the point of this? Have we forgotten the great line from JURASSIC PARK–just because we could doesn’t mean we should?

  • Victor_the_Crab

    You FOOLS!!! What have you done?!!