Scott Brown Throws in the Towel

You know how the saying goes — if I had a dime for every time someone on the Left whined that John Kerry’s nomination for Secretary of State would pave the way for a comeback for former Senator Scott Brown, well, I’d have a lot of dimes.

But as I suspected, your fears were unjustified.

Former Sen. Scott Brown (R-MA) will not run in the Massachusetts special election to fill the seat vacated by newly confirmed Secretary of State John Kerry, according to various reports on Friday.

Brown’s decision denies Bay State Republicans perhaps their most formidable candidate in years and probably their best shot at securing Kerry’s seat.

A poll released last week showed Brown trouncing Rep. Ed Markey (D-MA), the Democratic frontrunner in the special election, while a survey released this week showed a neck-and-neck race between the two.

Everyone can stop crapping their pants now.

Personally I don’t believe he would have successfully defeated Ed Markey, who is an exemplary public servant, but this seals the deal. There will be no more Scott Brown. And unless a there’s another big name waiting in the wings, it seems likely that Ed Markey could be the next senator from Massachusetts.

Print Friendly
This entry was posted in Elections and tagged , , , . Bookmark the permalink.
  • gescove

    I’ll admit I was concerned, so I’m glad to be able to change out of my crap-filled pants. Unlike Ted Nugent, I don’t enjoy wearing them.

    • peter_principle

      Be fair: Ted only enjoys it when the alternative is military service.

  • mrbrink

    Ed Markey should be disappointed that he isn’t going to get a chance to prove once and for all that he has the more electable abs.

  • Victor_the_Crab

    Oh but to see the temper tantrum thrown by Lindsey Graham and John McCain, now that their white knight has thrown in the towel.

    • D_C_Wilson

      I can’t imagine why so many republicans were anxious to see Brown back after all his flaky behavior. If all they want is a warm body to be another reliable GOP vote in the Senate, surely there are better candidates to be found in MA.

  • D_C_Wilson

    Based on his recent tweets, I think Brown has been drinking heavily. Maybe his friends and family held an intervention and convinced him not to run.

    It’s a shame. While many republicans probably, notably McCain and Graham, really thought he could win, I was looking forward to watching him get trounced again. The guy is a doofus who couldn’t have done worse against Warren if he had deliberately thrown the election.

    We may not have seen the last of Cosmo Brown. He might run for Governor of Mass. next year instead. Two Senate defeats in less than a year would have sunk any hopes of that!