Suicide PAC

Everyone is standing on Karl Rove’s lawn.

via TPM

Roger Stone, the veteran political operative who worked on both Richard Nixon and Ronald Reagan’s campaigns, said Thursday that Karl Rove’s new group, the Conservative Victory Project, will divide the Republican Party and amounts to a “suicide PAC.” [...]

Stone said it’s wrong to alienate the conservative base. “These are the storm troops of the Republican Party,” he said, adding that tea party folks ring doorbells and hang sings for candidates. “Don’t offend them”

Under different circumstances, Stone would be correct, however the problem for the Republican party right now is that their “storm troops” are ringing doorbells and hanging signs for horrible candidates. They’re electing the Richard “God Intended” Mourdocks and the Todd “Legitimate Rape” Akins in primaries and then flailing in the general election.

This amounts to concern trolling on my part because I wish the Republican party the worst, however I wish America the best. That compels me to enunciate the error of their ways. Extremist candidates are good for Democrats, but they’re bad for society. They legitimize the opinions of the lowest common denominators of the electorate.

This entry was posted in Roger Stone, Wingnuts and tagged , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

    “This amounts to concern trolling on my part because I wish the
    Republican party the worst, however I wish America the best. That
    compels me to enunciate the error of their ways. Extremist candidates
    are good for Democrats, but they’re bad for society. They legitimize the
    opinions of the lowest common denominators of the electorate.”

    Very well said, Ashby.

  • muselet

    I’ve been saying for quite a while now that the GOP is heading for a split. There are, and have been for at least thirty years, two incompatible strains of conservatism in the party: the self-proclaimed fiscal conservatives and the self-proclaimed values conservatives. Those two groups have very little in common, apart from party affiliation, and a split seems unavoidable.

    Watching the Rs do the self-immolation dance should make me happy as Larry, but enough of those extremist candidates have won elections to worry me.

      That’s been pretty apparent for quite some time. I remember after the 94 election when the GOP took over both chambers. One of the first things Gingrich’s flying monkeys did was push for steep cuts in welfare. Then some of the “values conservatives” realized that one of the consequences would be that pregnant single women would have more incentives to have an abortion if they couldn’t afford prenatal care. Suddenly, many of them wanted to put the breaks on the cuts.

  • bphoon

    Everyone is standing on Karl Rove’s lawn.

    I’d like to see ‘em all take the next step and shit on Karl Rove’s lawn.

    • 1933john

      If they were laying sod, don’t tell them to “keep the green side up.”

    • bphoon

      I’d like to see ‘em all take the next step and shit on Karl Rove’s lawn.

      I guess there are plenty of Republicans already doing that…

  • Treading_Water

    The problem with the House Republicans is that they’ve gerrymandered themselves into a position where they are more afraid of a primary from the right than they are of the general election. Once they’ve won their primary, they are pretty much assured of winning the general. This is much less of a factor in the Senate, where extremist candidates do poorly.