Super Stupid

The following exchange really happened on CNN. Anchor Deb Feyerick thought that perhaps global warming caused that asteroid to pass close to the Earth. Seriously. Because ‘meteor’ and ‘meteorology.’

“We want to bring in our science guy, Bill Nye, and talk about something else that’s falling from the sky, and that is an asteroid,” said Feyerick. “What’s coming our way? Is this the effect of, perhaps, global warming? Or is this just some meteoric occasion?”

“Except it’s all science,” Nye said rescuing Feyerick. “The word meteorology and the word meteor come from the same root, so…”

Uuuhhhh. Damn.

Poor Bill Nye.

This entry was posted in Environment, Science, Space and tagged , . Bookmark the permalink.
  • i_a_c

    Deb was frequently truant from 7th grade science.

  • Jone_of_Snark

    Poor Speed Walker. Patience of a saint.

  • muselet

    Good grief.

    I understand that newsreaders don’t usually have science backgrounds, but I genuinely hope Deb Feyerick has the self-awareness to realize how badly she fumbled this.

      I suspect she just faxed her resume over to Fox.

  • D_C_Wilson

    Why does Bill Nye do this to himself?