Texas GOP: We’ll Punish You If You Don’t Discriminate

I respect that you can’t force everyone to agree with you and that there will always be a certain segment of society that will oppose social progress because it’s part of their identity, but punishing others because they choose not to discriminate is a special brand of asinine.

Two Republican Texas lawmakers have filed bills that would cut funding for schools and universities that have policies supporting their LGBT students and staff.

Last fall, the Pflugerville School District announced it would be the first in Texas to offer domestic partner benefits to the same-sex partners of its teachers and staff. State Rep. Drew Springer (R) isn’t happy about this, and has filed a bill (HB 1568) to cut 7.5 percent of a district’s healthcare funding if it offers such benefits.

During his appearance on Meet the Press yesterday, Louisiana Governor Bobby Jindal implied that he doesn’t believe the Republican party needs to support social equality, such as marriage equality, to win elections (so much for not being the “stupid party”), but I’m not convinced.

I don’t believe any form of discrimination will be seen as socially acceptable or electable in the future outside of local elections where small pockets of voters can be pandered to directly. A point that Jon Hunstman articulated quite well in a column published last week.

But it’s difficult to get people even to consider your reform ideas if they think, with good reason, you don’t like or respect them. Building a winning coalition to tackle the looming fiscal and trust deficits will be impossible if we continue to alienate broad segments of the population. We must be happy warriors who refuse to tolerate those who want Hispanic votes but not Hispanic neighbors. We should applaud states that lead on reforming drug policy. And, consistent with the Republican Party’s origins, we must demand equality under the law for all Americans.

The Republican party also needs to adopt reform ideas that aren’t rubbish, a point which Huntsman does not concede, but doing so would be for naught if you continue to campaign on conservative identity politics that isolates voters.

Of course if you sidelined the social animosity, the proud stupidity, and failed economic policies, the Republican party wouldn’t have much of an identity (or many members) left.

This entry was posted in Elections, LGBT and tagged , , . Bookmark the permalink.
  • mrbrink

    Great post, especially the last part. And giving kudos to Huntsman is a class act.

    I’ve noticed Bobby Jindal has been using phrases like “Balanced approach” more and more to describe his governing philosophy because being a partisan fuck with language that polls better is more election-friendly than being a proud partisan fuck. Sure, he’ll turn public schools into Glenn Beck universities and amend the constitution to starve the people of programs and vital resources and hand it to oil companies and private prisons, and make rape an act of fatherhood, but he’s much smarter than the average wingnut because he uses safe words like, “balanced approach.” All bow to Bobby Jindal’s brilliance!

    It’s a low bar, but they all can’t be John Huntsmans. In fact, I think they detest him because John Huntsman actually struggles when the opportunity presents itself to fit his entire head up his ass. That’s a huge red flag for the GOP.

  • muselet

    SPRINGER: Our tax-dollars are for educating kids, not for enacting policies that attempt to get the state to recognize homosexual relationships. To think Pflugerville has sued the state for more funding, while at the same time bankrolling a lifestyle most Texans do not agree with is quite disturbing to me.

    Golly, could this be why rights shouldn’t be subject to the whims of voters?

    Meanwhile, Rep. Matt Krause (R), an attorney with the Liberty Counsel, has introduced HB 360, a bill not unlike one that just passed in Virginia that would cut funding for any university that does not allow its religious student groups to discriminate based on race, gender, and sexual orientation.

    Yes, because the whole point of attending university is to avoid contact with anyone who’s different than oneself.

    I do wish people would stop electing petty, narrow-minded, little men like this.

      They’re the reason why I show up every day. It’s just too bad they never sleep.