The Beginning of the School Arms Race

It begins with $30 million for armed police officers in schools:

Freshman Rep. Mark Meadows (R-N.C.) and six other House Republicans have proposed legislation that would spend $30 million a year on federal grants to help put police officers in schools across the country.

The Protect America’s Schools Act is a reaction to the December shooting at a Connecticut elementary school that left 20 children dead. After that shooting, National Rifle Association President Wayne LaPierre suggested that children in schools be protected by armed guards, and Meadows’s bill would appear to be a step in that direction.

“According to a recent Gallup poll, 53 percent of Americans believe that increasing police presence at schools would be very effective in preventing future tragedies,” Meadows said last week. “After speaking to local law enforcement, superintendents and principals in my district, I believe this is the best path forward.”

Suddenly the Republicans want to hire more cops? I thought Mitt Romney said he didn’t want any more government workers — cops and first responders. And suddenly they care about polls? Last month’s Pew poll:

In the survey, 85 percent of respondents said they favor background checks for private and gun show sales, while only 12 percent say they oppose such checks.

Sixty-seven percent of adults surveyed approve of a federal database to track gun sales, the poll indicated. A majority — 55 percent — back a ban on assault weapons, with 40 percent saying they don’t approve of the ban, a measure for which President Barack Obama again voiced support during a press conference today. (The partisan breakdown, however, is stark, with seven in ten Democrats backing the ban compared to just 44 percent of Republicans.)

That’s overwhelming. But not enough to overcome NRA blood money.

This entry was posted in Guns and tagged , . Bookmark the permalink.
  • Dennis Pool

    I’ve “been listening to [Of Monsters and Men] from the beginning, before it was popular, and now that everyone is listening to [Of Monsters and Men], [Of Monsters and Men] sucks.”

    I had to do it.

    Kidding aside, they’re a great band and My Head is an Animal is a great album. Also, see them live! These videos of their KEXP performances are fantastic.

  • http://www.intoxination.net intoxination

    I still want to know where the money is coming from to put armed guards in schools. To hire one for every public, primary school in this country would cost about $9 billion/year. That’s one guard per school! When you are looking at states and school’s that are flat broke, that’s a lot of money and this $30 million won’t amount to jack shit when it comes to helping pay.

      Imagine what it would mean in already strapped schools where they have to share books and classes are overcrowded. Will that new officer mean they no longer have books at all? Will schools just become these holding cells (as if many of them aren’t already just holding pens for kids anyway)?

      This, but also, I wonder what sort of strings will be attached to the $30 mil. I’m assuming additional standardized testing.

  • Victor_the_Crab

    Yeah, spend $30 million for armed security guards at schools instead of spending it on the education of children.

    Fucking stupid Republican asswipes!