The Senators Who Tried to Block the Violence Against Women Act

May their names live in infamy.

Ted Cruz (R-TX)
Mike Lee (R-UT)
Tim Scott (R-SC)
Marco Rubio (R-FL)
Mike Johanns (R-NE)
Rand Paul (R-KY)
Pat Roberts (R-KS)
James Risch (R-ID)

I wonder if their wives know.

This entry was posted in War Against Women, War On Women and tagged , . Bookmark the permalink.
  • Nanotyrannus

    I am totally grokking this argument these past few days, but I think their may be a flaw —

    It’s well reasoned. And the people in the opposition are largely unreasonable.

    We’ll never get through to them. Like we’ve had to do with the South for what looks like the entirety of our Union, we’ll have to drag these people kicking and screaming into the next century.

    And it looks like everything changes and nothing changes. The progressives of the day, and our country was an exceptionally progressive and new idea, were willing to meet the conservatives of the day, the landed nobility that wanted nothing to change from the status quo, halfway in order to get everyone on board. It’s still the same today. Progressives/liberals want to govern through honest compromise. Conservatives want to rule by fiat. And temper tantrums.

  • mrbrink

    How about amending the 2nd Amendment to say: Upon further review, we the people have decided that to provide for the general defense and promote domestic tranquility, the right to bear arms can be infringed a tiny little fucking bit.

      I cannot express how much I’d like to see that last phrase enshrined in the Constitution — especially that penultimate word. :)

  • trgahan

    That will never fit on a bumper sticker…

  • David_Marcus

    Rhode Island and New York aso demanded a right to bear arms in their ratifying conventions. Do you believe they were acting out of fear of slave insurrection? This is remarkably lazy history. http://www.spotlightright.blogspot.com/2013/01/the-2nd-amendment-was-not-ratified-to.html

  • http://www.facebook.com/christopher.joubert Christopher J. Joubert

    How much of a liar do you have to be, in order to publish this as ‘proof the 2nd was attached to slavery’?

    The 2nd Amendment comes after the entire constitution, this was the debate transcript covering Article 1 of the Constitution which establishes the form of government, each of the branches powers, and powers delegated to the states.

    This entire portion of the debate has literally nothing to do with the 2nd Amendment, nor any of its text