They Built This

Artist – Daryl Cagle

We are sure this is the best course of action?

Illinois State Sen. Toi Hutchinson dropped her bid to fill the Congressional seat of former Rep. Jesse Jackson Jr. on Sunday after her moderate views on gun safety made her a target of New York City Mayor Michael Bloomberg’s political action committee, Independence USA.

If forcing a pro-gun Democrat out of a race means a pro-control candidate will take their place and successfully defeat the Republican challenger — great — but if it means clearing a path for a Republican successor who won’t agree with you on anything, including gun control, I’m not sure if this really accomplishes anything.

It’s the age old Blue Dog vs Tea Party Republican debate, and it remains open for discussion. Because in an ideal world we wouldn’t have to make that calculation, but if Democrats ever want to regain control of the House of Representatives, it will be a relevant question.

This entry was posted in Open Thread and tagged , , . Bookmark the permalink.

    I just heard that two major weapons dealers (Shooters World and Cabelas) in the Phoenix area don’t have any 9 mm, 45 auto and 32 auto ammo at all….zero, zilch, nada, because and I quote, “the ATF bought it all”.

    If this is true, why would they do something like that? That’s not how the Feds purchase guns and ammo! I was told this not by some conservative wing nut but by a moderate to liberal person that I completely trust. Then I checked cheaperthandirt.com and they don’t have any either. So why would the Feds buy up all the ammo like that? You know what this does to the nutso gun lovers in AZ? They’re all up in their homes hugging their guns tonight. Seriously.

    So either the Feds did purchase everything or the dealers are lying. Why would the feds do that? Why would the dealers lie? Obviously the dealers would lie to create a perceived scarcity, then up the price and release ammo at the new price on the market and voila profit. But as to the Feds, I honestly can’t think of a good reason why they would do that unless they anticipated some kind of either a rush on the market or an uprising. If the Feds did do this, it is feeding right into the gun fetishists paranoia.

    Does anybody out there have a clue as to what’s going on?

      Hey, why the “unlike”? I’m seriously asking a question as to whether anyone knew anything about it. The gun nuts in Arizona are all over this and quite frankly when they get this crazy, it worries me because I’m surrounded by them.

  • Jason

    The gun control Dem candidate appears to be quite good and will probably win. This isn’t a Republican district at all.

  • mrbrink

    It’s a very safe liberal dem district, so it makes sense to expose any scent of blue dog in this case. But I’d certainly caution “Independence USA” to choose its battles carefully and for all the reasons mentioned.

  • http://twitter.com/mwick22 Mia Wicklund