Another Rand Paul Super-Awesome Filibuster That Greenwald Will Surely Support

I wonder how Greenwald feels about this:

Sens. Rand Paul (R-KY), Ted Cruz (R-TX) and Mike Lee (R-UT) “are threatening to filibuster gun-control legislation, according to a letter they plan to hand-deliver to Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid’s office on Tuesday,” Politico reports.

Greenwald will probably support this because — shocker! — he’s against restrictions on gun ownership. At least in Brazil, that is. Back in 2005, he used eerily familiar NRA-style arguments against a gun ban referendum that ultimately failed there. The good guys need guns for self-defense against bad guys and the government, etc. Some highlights:

Equally persuasive was the argument that a disarmed citizenry is more vulnerable not only to criminals but to government tyranny as well.

And…

As a result of the referendum — both the result and the process leading up to it — personal security and political liberty are substantially healthier in Brazil.

He wrote about how the gun ban initially enjoyed 80 percent support (sound familiar?) but ultimate failed. The failure of the gun ban, according to Greenwald, was the result of citizens thinking more “rationally about the issue.” Hmm.

So not only is Greenwald in favor of the Supreme Court’s Citizens United decision, but he’s against gun control, too. Interesting.

(h/t Colleen Kirby)
This entry was posted in Guns, Rand Paul and tagged , . Bookmark the permalink.
  • Draxiar

    Perhaps there is an article about Greenwald being an NRA sympathizer in the works? It could even go so far as to say that he’s in favor of the kids dying in the Sandyhook shooting (and other serious-not serious claims). Y’know…just to feed his own blunt no-nuance medicine back to him.

  • JMAshby

    He’s a libertarian, not a liberal.

      This is a trend that I’ve been seeing. I’ve had many libertarians either try to pass themselves off as Liberals (calling themselves things like “Classical Liberals” while avoiding the use of the “libertarian” term) or trying to make common cause with Liberals (i.e., legalizing pot). I think this is a purposeful “rebranding” attempt on their part to take advantage of the uninformed.

      • GOVCHRIS1988

        Oh, it most definitely is. They try to grab hold of some of the younger white suburban youth with this shit. Yeah, we’ll let you smoke weed while we do everything possible to subjugate you to low wages, no job security, and make sure that the rights of the discriminator outweighs the person being discriminated against.

  • js hooper

    This should surprise no one.Greenwald is an Alex Jones style libertarian paultard.I don’t know why so many liberals refuse to see Douchewald for what he is.He doesn’t even do a good job of hiding it.I’m sure he will write a 10,000 word screed defending Rand Paul from freedom hating partisan Democrats

  • RenoRick

    Greenwald is a narcissit and a fake…and quite good at making a great “word salad” i.e. endless updates on his posts. Rand Paul is cut from the same cloth. Libertarians don’t believe in government intervention unless it can benefit their interests, whether business or personal.

  • i_a_c

    To protect one’s self against “government tyranny” is the dumbest argument in the whole gun debate. If the government really wanted to be tyrannical it has more weapons and more technology than someone with a gun collection can ever dream of. Unless the “right to bear arms” suddenly includes M1 Abrams tanks and F-16s. That Greenwald views such a thing as “rational” is revealing.

  • villemar

    If it isn’t about Drones! Baby Jesus Manning! NDAA! Anwar Al-Awlaki! it doesn’t exist.