Beware Right-Wingers Disguised as Liberals

A reader called this RedState article to my attention. It includes this passage instructing far-right conservatives how to infiltrate liberal blogs:

First, infiltrate the site. For this, you will have to avoid creating screen names like “GoPalinGo” or “Heartlandredstater.” Also, some websites may actually have you wait a week before you are allowed to comment or blog. Perhaps, they are investigating the e-mail address you give them against whether it is used for a conservative website. Be sure to avoid that tendency; if you use, for example, aol.com screen name for RedState, make sure you use a yahoo e-mail address for Dailykos, or whatever. Once you are there, the second part of the strategy is to gain their trust. For this, you cannot be too overtly gung-ho conservative in your outlook. Instead, you sort of have to be the voice of a moderate liberal. This will take a lot of acting skill, but it could be done. For example, over at ThinkProgress, they had an article about how the folks in Alabama got what they deserved with the recent spate of tornadoes because their legislators did not believe in global warming. It took all my energies not to reach through the Internet and strangle these kooks, but I responded, “Well, that might be going a little too far…” Along the way, I gained the trust of certain posters on that thread.

The article is from 2011, but the information is quite telling. I’ve bumped into more than one of these jagoff imposters here and at The Huffington Post. From what I’ve discovered some of them are even paid by astroturf groups.

This entry was posted in Blogging. Bookmark the permalink.
  • zirgar

    Isn’t that called concern trolling? This is one reason I have a hard time with the internet; I prefer someone getting right up in my face or at least being open about what they believe–no games– so if things are civil at least we can discuss issues, and if things turn ugly I can plant my fist firmly in someone’s face.

  • http://twitter.com/PirateWench Pirate Wench

    The GOP – once a liar always a liar.

  • MrDHalen

    The Popular Science website is infested with right-wing trolls as well. They sit and camp out waiting to attack any post on climate change or green technology. Sad little people they are.

  • kushiro -

    Hey, everybody, it’s a comedy piece. Look, here’s a quote for proof:

    “What if liberals try this with conservative websites? Let them. Remember that we have facts, logic and reason on our side.”

    • Draxiar

      …and delusion…they have that going for them too.

    • Victor_the_Crab

      I’d have a difficult time going into those right wing websites out of fear that the stupid would burn my brain.

  • GrafZeppelin127

    I’ve said many times that Republican, Tea Party and right-wing politics are, collectively, an improv act. One of the reasons I know that is that I can do it; I can play the role of the wingnut comfortably and easily without drawing the suspicion of other wingnuts. That’s because I understand how they think and how the way they think morphs into how they talk.

    I’ve also said many times that I don’t think right-wingnuts could do the opposite; I don’t think a right-wingnut could successfully impersonate a “moderate liberal” becase right-wingnuts do not understand liberals. When right-wingnuts talk about who liberals are and what liberals believe and what liberals want and what liberals like ad what liberals hate, they’re talking about things that no real person on the face of the earth actually is, believes, wants, likes or hates.

    I could impersonate a right-wingnut. I doubt a right-wingnut could impersonate me.

  • AZDem9933

    Definitely avoid starting statements with “I’m a lifelong Democrat but…”. Also, refrain from describing liberals as “libs” or referring to “the Democrat Party”. Those are what we in Left Blogistan regard as tells.

    • http://twitter.com/Battle_Damage Who’s Your Damage?®

      Sorry, but I routinely say “libs” and “progs” in tweets. If it’s a tell in the context all I can say is, Tweets gotta be brief.