From The Department of Outreach

We’ve been joking for months about the Republican party’s outreach initiative, or a lack thereof, but now they’ve made it official with the release of the RNC’s 2012 autopsy report which details how they can turn things around. Or so they think.

There are many ideas contained in the report that are entirely contradicted by well-established GOP policy positions, which ThinkProgress documents here, but this one is my favorite.

“Our candidates, spokespeople, and staff need to use language that addresses concerns that are on women’s minds in order to let them know we are fighting for them.“

This does not say that they need to alter their positions or abandon their tropes about rape, abortion, and contraception. What it says is that they need to “use language” that will make you feel better about their positions. Because, obviously, women are just that gullible, right?

To be fair, this critique could sum up virtually every other prescription the report offers for curing the party’s electoral ailments, from attacking “corporate welfare” while preserving subsides for Big Oil, to telling young people that they’re tolerant of your views while Boss Limbaugh laments those views.

The dark, comical nature of the GOP means that a report detailing the party’s outreach efforts released in the morning has already been effectively countermanded by the afternoon hours from within the party.

This entry was posted in Election 2012, War On Women and tagged , , . Bookmark the permalink.
  • muselet

    The principal purpose of the GOP’s report on the 2012 election is to give our glorious news media yet another opportunity to breathlessly announce that the Rs are making strides in closing the gender/race/age gaps. And I’m sure there are enough Ds and former Ds (Bob Beckel, Dick Morris, Joe Lieberman) who’ll be more than happy to go on camera to explain that the Ds are the party with the real gender/race/age problems.

    The report was always going to be so much eyewash.

    Another study was released today that showed 1 in 3 people have abandoned traditional news media as they dislike the “quality” of reporting.I am one of those people.

    I noticed that since November the media has spent the more time reporting “How did the GOP lose and how is going to win again?” stories. President Obama’s victory has been explained one way …”non-traditional voters (read Not Real Americans)” voted for him.
    TV, print, and magazine news have portrayed Marco Rubio as if America suddenly wants him in the White House RIGHT NOW! Rand Paul is being hailed for talking a long time about a inane hypothetical while voting on bills that directly harm 100,000’s of citizens. CPAC is covered, not as the marginal far right freak show, but as a thought provoking meeting representing 50 percent of Americans.

    And this doesn’t include what Fox News has been saying.