Idiot Quote of the Day

Why has the homeless population of New York City surged over the past year, leaving the city’s shelters buckling under the pressure? Mayor Bloomberg has a theory.

“You can arrive in your private jet at Kennedy Airport, take a private limousine and go straight to the shelter system, walk in the door, and we’ve got to give you shelter. That’s what the law is. I didn’t write the law.” -NYC Mayor Bloomberg

If it’s actually true that privileged Wall Streeters are slumming it in homeless shelters just to save a few bucks rather than, you know, ditching the private jet or limousine, and thus crowding out people who actually need to stay in a shelter, my head may explode as a result of the unparalleled douchebaggery.

Something tells me my head will remain intact.

This entry was posted in Quote and tagged , , . Bookmark the permalink.
  • muselet

    Means-testing the homeless. What a concept.

    This is just Reagan’s “welfare mothers” line, really. He’s not *really* saying that the super privileged are taking advantage. He’s implying, though, that there are people in the shelters that don’t need to be there, rather than, you know, unemployment, the recession, etc etc. being responsible for the homeless boom. Having been homeless in NYC myself, believe me, you don’t stay in a shelter if you don’t need to.

    You’re grossly misunderestimating the potential for douchebaggery in Wall Streeters if you think it wouldn’t rise to that level.

    However.

    Unless/until homeless shelters get they shit together with the concierge service and wet bars, the WSDs will express thier douchebagginsesnesses in other, equally onerous ways. Like tweeting death wishes to women who speak out against rape.

      In other news, here in Costa Rica we have on-demand hot water shower heads.

      They’re called duchas.