Iraq Warmongers Still Massaging Their Image

Disgraced former Lieutenant Colonel and current Fox News analyst Oliver North appeared on Fox yesterday to profess the merits of the Iraq War and repeat a claim that has been repeatedly debunked.

North: I get asked all the time by the families of those who were killed. The gold star families and the widows of those soldiers, sailors, and marines I’ve covered over there… I look back at them and they ask me — was it worth it? I go in the hospitals and I see guys that are still recovering from wounds in Iraq. I take them out on hunting trips, our hero hunts with Freedom Alliance. And I get asked that question a lot, particularly by the families. Not by those who fought there, but by those who have families members that they loved and lost or who are recovering. My answer is yes, it was worth it.

We got rid of a brutal despot who used chemical and biological weapons against his own people. Weapons of mass destruction that he probably exported to Sudan before we got there.

There were no WMDs. They were not exported to Sudan or anywhere else. The war was not worth it. We gained nothing from fighting it.

And speaking of gaining nothing – John “Torture Memo” Yoo also offered his own take on the Iraq war’s 10th anniversary yesterday, and he believes the Iraqis actually benefited from our presence.

I continue to think that invading Iraq was the best option in light of the information we had then — I am finishing a book on war in the 21st century, where I make the case for preemptive and preventive war, and I argue that the proper way to think about these questions is based on the information available before the decision, not after. [...]

Even though the benefits outweighed the costs, that does not mean we simply leave Iraq once we depose the Husseins. The legal system in such situations might still require a benefiting party to compensate a harmed party. In other words, we allow one harm to occur in society because there is a greater good achieved — but then the legal system can intervene afterward to require sharing of the benefits between the plaintiff and defendant.

And isn’t that what we did in Iraq? We spent billions of dollars in Iraq as damages. We did so not because the war was wrong, but because it was right — and we shared the benefits of the war with the Iraqi people by transferring some of it in the form of reconstruction funds.

If you can wrap your head around this sadistic strain of logic (I’m still struggling with it), it appears that Yoo is arguing that the hundreds of thousands of people killed in Iraq were allowed to be harmed for the “greater good,” and by spending billions of dollars — much of it wasted or lost to fraud — to rebuild the country after we destroyed it, we displayed that our original intentions were noble. As if nation-building is just another enterprise or form of disaster capitalism that is based on preemptive war rather than a natural disaster. ‘We destroyed their country so we could make it better.’

In a just world, men like John Yoo would be relegated to making these rants on vacant forums and chat rooms on the fascist equivalent of 4chan, but unfortunately they write books and people* buy them.

*a think tank invested in preemptive war will buy 10,000 copies

This entry was posted in Iraq and tagged , , . Bookmark the permalink.
  • PhilSimms

    Just a small correction, North was NOT a General. He was a Lt. Col.

    • JMAshby

      Thank you for the correction. It was lost in translation.

  • r_dale

    North should have been court-martialed, convicted of dishonoring the uniform of the USMC, stripped of his rank and decorations and any other benefits, and drummed out of the Corps. He’s a disgrace to the military and the United States.

      And George H.W. along with him.

  • muselet

    Charlie Pierce yesterday:

    Shut up, all of you. Go away. You are complicit in one way or another in a giant crime containing many great crimes. Atone in secret. Wash the blood off your hands in private. Because there were people who got it right. Anthony Zinni. Eric Shiseki. Hans Blix. Mohamed ElBaradei. The McClatchy Washington bureau guys. Dozens of liberal academics who got called fifth-columnists and worse. Professional military men whose careers suffered as a result. Hundreds of thousands of people in the streets around the world. The governments of Canada and France. Those people, I will listen to this week. Go to hell, the rest of you, and go there in silence and in shame.

    Sounds about right.

      Charlie Pierce would have to stroke off Canada from his list of people he would listen to this week. Stephen Harper, the current prime minister, loudly scolded the governing Liberals at the time for not participating in George W. Bush’s wild goose chase in Iraq when he was in opposition as the leader of the Conservative party. Harper would have gladly sent in Canadian armed personnel to Iraq to do whatever the Bush administration told him to.

  • i_a_c

    Yeah, 200,000 dead Iraqis was totally worth the billions we spent rebuilding the country we ravaged. Holy freaking crap.

  • Victor_the_Crab

    Fucking sociopaths! All of them!

    The war was not worth it. We gained nothing from fighting it.

    NOT TRUE! Li’l Georgie Bush got Saddam’s gun for his Presnidental Liberry.

  • D_C_Wilson

    The neocons are not only rewriting history about Iraq, they’re beating the drums for war with Iran.

    And here is Fox, asking the opinion of a man who sold weapons to Iran.

    I guess it makes perverse sense, since before they were selling the Iraq war, Cheney and Rummy were selling weapons to Iraq. And of course, the Mujaheddin Saint Ron supported in the 80s became the Taliban who harbored Al Qaeda in Afghanistan.

    Welcome to the neocon world. First they build them up, then they send American troops in to fight them.

      That’s a feature, not a bug (as I’m sure you know).