Newtown Could Have Been Much Worse

If police hadn’t arrived at the scene as swiftly as they did, the Sandy Hook school shooting could have been much worse.

New documents were released by authorities today that detail the totality of the weapons, ammunition, and other materials, such as an NRA training book, that were recovered from Adam Lanza’s car and home, and one particular item found at the crime scene stuck out to me.

There were two high-capacity shotgun shell magazines for his shotgun at the crime scene, containing a combined 70 extra rounds for the fortunately-unused shotgun. Police also found two 20-round magazines at the Lanza residence.

Lanza had two extended shotgun shell magazines holding 70 shells in his car outside the school. If police didn’t arrive sooner, he could have used them.

I’ll admit extended shotgun shell magazines, such as those used for an automatic shotgun (in this case a Saiga 12), weren’t on my radar in the same manner that high-capacity magazines for rifles have been.

Here’s an example of a Saiga 12 shotgun with an extended magazine.

Saiga12_Extended

Authorities recovered over 1,700 rounds of ammunition from Lanza’s car and home.

This entry was posted in Gun Fetishists, Guns and tagged , , . Bookmark the permalink.
  • mrbrink

    That’s a semi-automatic 12 gauge modeled after the AK-47. It’s an assault weapon if there ever was one. It fires like it was built with school shootings in mind. The people who encourage the flow of these weapons work for the grim reaper.

    • JMAshby

      I’m familiar with automatic shotguns, It just never occurred to me that it’s what he was carrying or that the generic term “high-capacity magazines” can also included extended magazines for them.

      Lots of people own shotguns. But very few own automatic shotguns.

      And yeah — this is a weapon designed to clear rooms in close quarters.

  • KABoink_after_wingnut_hacker

    Of course every suburban family should own at least one of these.
    They also make great birthday presents for the kids!

    • D_C_Wilson

      I’ll bet there’s even a Hello Kitty version for the girls!

  • GrafZeppelin127

    Wingnuts already referring to Lanza & his mom as “Registered Democrat.”

    • KABoink_after_wingnut_hacker

      Yeah I heard that too.
      After rightwing media repeats it a thousand times over the long weekend it will be true.

    • muselet

      It’s a clumsy attempt at misdirection.

      ABC News tonight reported the police found two NRA certificates, in the names of Nancy and Adam Lanza, during their search of the family home. The NRA has vehemently denied it had any connection to the Lanzas.

      What a surprise, the NRA is telling porkies.

    Ah, but if only some brave teacher would have hurled one of her small students, packing heat, directly at Lanza, then all of this would have been instantly twarted, praise Lord LaPierre and pass the ammo.