Paul Wolfowitz Blames Iraqis For Putting Up A Fight

It was on this day in 2003, that George W. Bush addressed the country in prime-time to announce that weapons inspections have failed and we were giving Saddam Hussein 48 hours to leave the country and surrender his pistol for display in the George W. Bush Library. By March 19th, 2003, Shock and Awe was a go, and the missiles were flying– hallelujah!

In an interview with The Australian Times, former U.S. Deputy Secretary of Defense under Donald Rumsfeld from 2001-2005, Paul Wolfowitz, reflected upon the adventures of neoconservatives to preemptively bomb and invade the Iraqi people into a quick submission, telling the paper that:

there “should have been Iraqi leadership from the beginning, rather than a 14-month occupation led by an American viceroy and based on “this idea that we’re going to come in like (General Douglas) MacArthur in Japan and write the constitution for them.”

It’s amazing, though, how fast the Iraqi constitution included opening up undiscovered oil wells to multi-national corporations for development– the same oil fields that were going to fund the war!

In the interview, Wolfowitz mocks Colin Powell for voicing skepticism throughout the push for war, saying Powell was basically paranoid that he was being lied to by the administration, even suggesting that Colin Powell was a divisive force within The House Of Bush.

He goes on to state that he was surprised there was any resistance– something the administration– including Paul Wolfowitz– had no plan in place to deal with whatsoever.

They were making it all up as they went along. The Iraqi resistance, the insurgency– or people willing to strap bombs to their bodies to resist occupation– were all unforeseeable according to war planners in retrospect.

From Huffpo:

The war in Iraq was launched March 20, 2003, in Baghdad and unexpectedly stretched on for 106 months, just short of nine years. During that time, 1,111,610 Americans served there for a total of 2,337,197 deployments, with some serving two or more times.

Four thousand, four hundred and eighty-eight of them came home in flag-draped coffins, including 110 women, according to Defense Department data. Thirty-two thousand, two hundred and twenty-one were brought home with serious combat wounds ranging from concussions to multiple limb amputations. Two hundred and thirty-five took their own lives while deployed.

In Iraq, 115,376 Iraq civilians were killed between 2003 and 2011 as sectarian fighting intensified, according to the Brookings Institution’s Iraq Index, while the number of internally displaced Iraqi civilians rose from 400,000 in 2003 to 2.7 million by 2010.

Many of the Americans who fought in Iraq returned strengthened, with newfound confidence, deep friendships and pride of service. Others have returned with mental scars, diagnosed or not. Surveys by the Army Office of the Surgeon General found in 2006 that 18.6 percent of troops deployed in Iraq suffered “acute stress.”

Totally worth it.

March 14 (Reuters) – The U.S. war in Iraq has cost $1.7 trillion with an additional $490 billion in benefits owed to war veterans, expenses that could grow to more than $6 trillion over the next four decades counting interest, a study released on Thursday said.

The war has killed at least 134,000 Iraqi civilians and may have contributed to the deaths of as many as four times that number, according to the Costs of War Project by the Watson Institute for International Studies at Brown University.

When security forces, insurgents, journalists and humanitarian workers were included, the war’s death toll rose to an estimated 176,000 to 189,000, the study said.

The report, the work of about 30 academics and experts, was published in advance of the 10th anniversary of the U.S.-led invasion of Iraq on March 19, 2003.

It wasn’t until an up and coming Senator from Illinois by the name of Barack Obama began to make a lot of noise drawing attention to the Bush administration’s abject lies and failures in Iraq, which catapulted him to the Presidency and finally achieving full withdrawal in December of 2011 when all remaining troops were ordered out of Iraq.

Since George W. Bush left office, long after the Mission Accomplished banner waived high above the world as proof of our superiority, he’s been painting doggies.

“He started out painting dogs, and I think he said he’s painted over 50 dogs,” said Flood. He is “going to go down in the history books as a great artist.” -Bonnie Flood

Bravo.

This entry was posted in George W. Bush, Republican Party, Torture and tagged , , . Bookmark the permalink.
  • D_C_Wilson

    He’s also painting himself in the bathtub.

    I honestly think Bush was everything liberals used accuse Saint Ron of: Detached and out of touch from reality while letting his underlings run amok.

    Though if Wolfie wants to know what went wrong in Iraq, he can start y looking in a mirror. From te start, the reconstruction was more about ideology than practicality. After getting rid of all Iraqi leadership, they put a bunch of ideologues in to run the place. Many of them knew nothing about Iraq or the Middle East, some were even fresh out of college and had no real experience. The one thing they had in common was a rightwing ideology that privatizing everything would create paradise.

    We would have been much better with a MacArther. At leat he could figure what would and would not work in Japanese culture and tailored his approach accordingly.

  • muselet

    … there “should have been Iraqi leadership from the beginning, rather than a 14-month occupation led by an American viceroy and based on “this idea that we’re going to come in like (General Douglas) MacArthur in Japan and write the constitution for them.”

    Chutzpah, the man has!

    Paul Wolfowitz should have the good grace to go and hide under his flat rock for another ten years or so.

    –alopecia

    • imavettoo

      He’s too busy licking his comb.

      • muselet

        You just had to go there, didn’t you? *shudders*

        –alopecia

  • hamletta

    You forgot Howard Dean.

  • Victor_the_Crab

    Paul Wolfowitz’s limbs should be wrapped in chains and tied together as his evil body is dragged to court at The Hague for war crimes. He and Cheney, Rumsfeld, Bush, and everyone else in that treasonus lot.

  • Jesus California

    Just read the Krugman post on the 10th anniversary and all, including a lot of the 300+ comments. Nowhere in either could be found a simple acknowledgement that a state senator from Illinois at the time was among the very few to publicly proclaim that Iraq and Saddam Hussein did not plan or carry out the 9-11 attacks. I believe that Obama is in office today largely due to this “profile in courage. It is what initially made me aware of him, anyway.” Still, as far as I know, nobody has ever dared to follow up on W’s admission that he went after Saddam because Saddam had once taken a shot at his father. “Wouldn’t you?” was W’s response. No, I would not have, but then I am not a petulant, intellectually stunted, overly entitled frat boy, apparently willing to sacrifice much blood and treasure (of others) to settle a lingering family resentment with the new toys of which he was tragically put in charge.

    • imavettoo

      True dat, “he tried to kill my daddy” sure ends up sounding pretty lame. How many American children can say “Dubya DID kill my daddy”?

  • imavettoo

    So after all this, fucking Stephen Hadley was on “This Week” this morning. Goddamn “Liberal Media”!!