Quote of the Morning

“[Saddam] is a threat. He’s a murderer and a thug. There’s no doubt we can do this. We’re stronger; he’s weaker. You’re looking at a couple weeks of bombing and then I’d be astonished if this campaign took more than a week. Astonished.” Bill Clinton during the run-up to the Iraq War, ten years ago this month

Just a reminder of how utterly batshit insane everyone was in the years (not just weeks and months) following 9/11.

This entry was posted in Iraq, Quote and tagged , . Bookmark the permalink.
  • GrafZeppelin127

    Well, let’s not forget that it was the Democrats who talked Bush into invading Iraq, not the other way around. Bush never wanted to invade, and Republicans protested, but the Democrats forced them to do it.

    • Dan_in_DE

      Lolz! Somebody already down voted you Graf. Somebody’s snark-meter desperately needs a recalibration. Ha!

      .. naturally. The Republicans were marching on Washington to stop the war back then, and it was jerks like Cesca who showed up at the metro stations just to mock and shout them down. Ah yes, I remember it well.

      • http://www.facebook.com/Alyson.Chadwick Alyson Chadwick

        Is that why only one of the 23 votes against the war in the Senate was a Republica and only six House Republicans voted no? Because the war was driven by Democrats? I am not saying Bill Clinton was right when he said that (and Hillary, who was in the Senate and voted for the war without reading all the intel she had on it was wrong as well) but to use that quote as proof the Democrats were the driving force behind the Iraq war is revisionist history of the most ridiculous kind. It’s just not true.

        • GrafZeppelin127

          irony [ahy-ruh-nee, ahy-er-] noun, plural i·ro·nies.

          1.the use of words to convey a meaning that is the opposite of its literal meaning.

          2. Literature.
          a. a technique of indicating, as through character or plot development, an intention or attitude opposite to that which is actually or ostensibly stated.
          b. (especially in contemporary writing) a manner of organizing a work so as to give full expression to contradictory or complementary impulses, attitudes, etc., especially as a means of indicating detachment from a subject, theme, or emotion.

          • Dan_in_DE

            Don’t forget the old addage: snarkiness is next to godliness.

        • bphoon

          Duh…

    • http://www.facebook.com/Alyson.Chadwick Alyson Chadwick

      The Democrats “forced” them? I don’t remember that happening at all. I am not saying they opposed the war but they didn’t force anyone to do anything. A number of Republicans said later, such as Dick Armey, that the “evidence” the Bush administration provided was pretty flimsy and the only reason they believed it was that it was from a GOP VP and not a Democrat. Armey admitted he would have voted against the war if the same materials had been shown to him by a Democratic VP. Tom Daschle voted for the war, too (later he said the photos he was shown didn’t look like they showed what Cheney said they showed but he believed the VP when he said we were in danger and after the anthrax his office received he thought it was the right thing to do) but he didn’t force the other side to go along with him.

      And Bush never wanted to invade? I don’t know where you got that idea. He started his first cabinet meeting of his presidency with “How do we remove Saddam Hussein from power?” (source: Paul O’Neill, Bush’s first treasury secretary) Moreover, all the neocons, such as Cheney, had been itching to invade Iraq for years. Intelligence officers (career people) have said they felt pressured by political appointees to find reasons to go into Iraq.

      Sorry, you are just factually wrong on this point.

      You can read George W. Bush’s speech about the war, this is not from a president who didn’t want to invade: http://www.cbsnews.com/2100-500257_162-2349882.html

      • GrafZeppelin127

        Dude, chill.

      • Alex0001

        You’re clearly not getting this.

        It. was. a. joke.

      • bphoon

        See definitions of “irony” above. If you can…

    • Christopher Foxx

      Exactly. I mean, who could forget the day that happened, what with that also being the day the sun rose in the west, the snow in Death Valley fell upwards and Rush Limbaugh called Clinton the greatest President ever?