Rand Paul is Anti-Choice. Or Not. Or Who the Hell Knows.

The senator who introduced the Life at Conception Act the other day and who wants to end abortion on demand and who supports a personhood amendment effectively criminalizing abortion as murder was a little confused on CNN yesterday.

BLITZER: Just to be precise, if you believe life begins at conception, which I suspect you do you would have no exceptions for rape, incest, the life of the mother is that right?

PAUL: I think that once again puts things in too small of a box. What I would say is there are thousands of exceptions. I’m a physician and every individual case is going to be different. Everything is going to be particular to that individual case and what is going on that mother and the medical circumstances of that mother…. There are a lot of decisions made privately by families and doctors that really won’t, the law won’t apply to, but I think it is important we not be flippant one way or the other and pigeon hole and say this person doesn’t believe in any sort of discussion between family and physician. [...]

BLITZER: It sounds like you believe in some exceptions.

PAUL: Well, there is going to be like I say thousands of extraneous situations where the life of the mother is involved and other things that are involved so I would say that each individual case would have to be addressed and even if there were eventually a change in the law let’s say people came more to my way of thinking there would still be a lot of complicated things the law may not ultimately be able to address in the early stages of pregnancy that would have to be part of what occurs between the physician and the woman and the family.

This entry was posted in Abortion and tagged . Bookmark the permalink.
  • JackDaniel07

    Bob, I feel that the work you do here really resonates. I’m not naive enough to think that you single-handedly dismantled the TV career of Glenn Beck, but it was your persistent voice, and voices like yours that shooed him off of the national stage.

    I think that Rand Paul should be your next whipping post. Like Beck, Paul is adept at picking real hotbutton issues out of the muck and exploiting them into support from not just wingnuts, but gullible liberals and centrists as well. Like you have said, its no coincidence that Rand Paul chose “drone strikes” as his filibustering soapbox – it gets all kinds of morons fired up.

    You have done a very good job of pointing out this man’s flaws, especially in the wake of his grandstanding for 13 hours – KEEP IT UP, RELENTLESSLY.

      Nailed it, Jack.

  • Nefercat

    “… there would still be a lot of complicated things the law may not ultimately be able to address in the early stages of pregnancy that would have to be part of what occurs between the physician and the woman and the family.”

    Really, Randlet? Because the booberkins in North Dakota see no problem butting in to discussions between the woman, her family, and her doctor at the earliest moments of pregnancy.

  • GrafZeppelin127

    That’s the problem with most “conservative” and “libertarian” positions/beliefs, at least those that can be and typically are expressed in a single sentence. They completely collapse into gibberish when confronted with pesky, troublesome things like the realities of life.

  • JMAshby

    Rand Paul believes every crazy thing he has ever said in the past and every crazy thing his father said in the past, but now that he’s wading into the national stage in a role that was previously reserved for the likes of Jim DeMint, he’s trying to temper his language. But not his beliefs.

  • muselet

    Oh, Rand “I’m A Libertarian Except When It Comes To Ladybits” Paul is anti-choice. All his blather about exceptions and medical circumstances and individual cases and decisions made privately is a smokescreen.

    –alopecia

  • kfreed

    Rand Paul is a religious fundamentalist just like his pee-paw. He inserted a personhood amendment into the farm bill, after all. Actions speak louder than words and this is precisely why I don’t seriously entertain a single thing that comes out of this screwball’s mouth (or screwball Ron Paul’s mouth for that matter).

  • mrbrink

    Sounds like Rand Paul is proposing a government committee, or a Supreme Abortion Court, to judge whether or not, on an “individual basis,” who is allowed to have an abortion and who is not. I’m sure Rand Paul has some exceptions that will protect the mother. Like, no back alley abortions. I’m sure throwing yourself down the stairs will still be considered lawful under Rand Paul’s Abortion Court.

      You mean “Dr. Rand Paul”. Even if he is only an eye doctor, I’m sure he knows best. [/snark]

      • mrbrink

        Well he’s not very good because he hasn’t properly diagnosed that huge gaping blind spot in his logic.