Republican Outreach

Representative Marsha Blackburn (R-TN) explains why she voted against the Violence Against Women Act (VAWA).

The Senate version. You know, what you do is you begin to dilute the money that needs to go into this sexual assault centers, domestic abuse centers, our children advocacy centers, all of those I’ve helped to start in my area here in Tennessee. When you start to make this about other things it becomes an “against violence act” and not a targeted focus act that there is there to address the issue of violence against women.

[...]

I didn’t like the way it was expanded to include other different groups. What you need is something that is focused specifically to help the shelters and to help out law enforcement, who is trying to work with the crimes that have been committed against women and helping them to stand up.

My immediate reaction to this was to ask why Blackburn would oppose a “Against Violence Act,” but upon further examination, and by taking everything she said into account, I realized what Blackburn is really saying.

Blackburn goes out of her way several times to mention how great the shelters are in her district in Tennessee. And do you know what there is a surplus of in Tennessee? God-fearing white people.

Blackburn supported a version of the bill that would have maintained the status quo for her personal collection of white people in Tennessee’s affluent 7th congressional district, but when you “begin to dilute” funding for her district by expanding protection to immigrant women, Native Americans, and lesbians that simply isn’t acceptable by her standards.

This piecemeal approach to selectively supporting or opposing certain initiatives based on racial and economic cross-sections effectively nulls what political points you would otherwise score for supporting social progress, and Republicans don’t seem to understand this.

They believe they should receive at least half of a point for voting to protect some groups of people.

This entry was posted in Racism, War On Women and tagged , , . Bookmark the permalink.

    Why can’t we just let the South fucking SECEDE already???!!!!

    • villemar

      Only if we can asset strip them first. They have our stuff. Then when they have no infrastructure and devolve into Somalia, we march in like Sherman.

    • mrbrink

      I thought we did! It got so fucking red down there they just ran out of room so they migrated north for work and to spread the gospel of idiot.

  • muselet

    They believe they should receive at least half of a point for voting to protect some groups of people.

    Actually, they think they deserve full points for even considering legal protections for any groups of people.

      You may snark, but I’m being completely serious.

      Consider their recent statements on the need to do a better job of delivering their message. This implies to me that they think their policy (caveats and all) is okay, but they need to do a better job of informing people about the non-caveats ie: “see, we support rights for some people, we’re awesome!”

      • muselet

        Oh, I’m serious, too.

        The Rs really didn’t want to renew VAWA (I seem to recall one House R wondering why women deserve more legal protection against domestic violence than men). When they realized that wouldn’t fly, they tried to restrict the law’s scope. When that failed, they voted against the law. Now the likes of Marsha Blackburn expect to get credit for wanting to vote for a restrictive version of VAWA. “We want to support protection for some people, but can’t because those dastardly Ds support special rights for people who aren’t like us! That makes us just as good as them!”

        I’m being just a hair more cynical than you.

        –alopecia

  • fredamae

    Oh. My. Gawd. ……..(and I’m rarely rendered speechless)

  • D_C_Wilson

    When you start to make this about other things it becomes an
    “against violence act” and not a targeted focus act that there is there
    to address the issue of violence against women.

    Translation: Lesbians aren’t real women.

  • mrbrink

    These people are fucking psychos. They will club the baby seal and brag about their new hat. You like it? It’s baby seal. Yeah. Just pulled one right off the beach, clubbed it, skinned it, and made this lovely hat. You know who’d look fabulous in this hat? You. You the people would look stunning in a baby seal fedora.