So Much For ‘Engaging’ with Minority Voters

The day after the RNC released its report detailing how the party ought to engage with minority voters, this happened:

Yesterday, the Arkansas Senate passed — on an entirely party-line vote — a so-called voter ID law requiring voters to show photo identification before they can cast a ballot. The same voter suppression measure already passed the state House with all but one of the votes for the bill coming from Republicans.

ThinkProgress reminds us:

A Wisconsin study found that only 0.00023 percent of votes are the product of such fraud. So voter ID laws disenfranchise a large chunk of voters — between 2 and 9 percent, according to different reports on their effect — in order to prevent a virtually non-existent form of voter fraud.

Yes, the Republican Party is reaching out to minorities — reaching out and snatching their ballots away.

This entry was posted in Voter Suppression and tagged , , . Bookmark the permalink.
  • zirgar

    Yep. The GOP is reaching out to minority voters to give them the finger.

  • Camel54

    Here TN the venerable Rep. Camp field has introduced a bill to make it illegal for any school above high school to have a diversity officer or for anyone to perform any duties that would typically be assigned to diversity personnel. I have no idea how far this will go since UT Knoxville has said this will cause a loss of 300 million dollars in federal funding. However, the fact that Camp field felt comfortable enough with this bill to submit it says volumes since all he does is appeal to the extreme wackaloon base of ignorant, hate filled, backwards ass nut jobs…and successfully I might add. I wouldn’t have thought our guns at work bill would have gone all the way, though, since businesses in TN opposed it, but it became law. Goes to show they are more about idiotic ideological stunts than they are even about business interests. Go TN.

  • muselet

    You can’t be too careful, you know. Zombie ACORN might rise from its crypt and start registering those people to vote again and we can’t have that, now, can we?

    It’s as if the Rs have a bet on which state legislature can pass the most onerous restrictions on voting—or maybe its which state’s onerous restrictions will finally trigger the Supreme Court challenge to the notion of voting being a right.

    –alopecia