The Bubble Genius Bob & Chez Show 3/7/13

bcs_mr_smith

Eric Holder and Drones On American Soil; Rand Paul’s Filibuster; Ted Cruz and Bombing Starbucks; Greenwald and Drone Hysteria; Dead Baby Photos; The Most Ridiculous Pro-Gun Law So Far; Roger Ailes’ Dog Whistle; States Can’t Run Elections; House Republicans Defund Nonexistent ACORN; and much more. Brought to you by Bubble Genius and the BobCesca.com Amazon Link.

There’s more talk in this week’s After Party! Friday at Noon eastern time. If you’re not a member, subscribe already. Only $6/month, cancel any time.

Download the mp3 (55 minutes, 23mb)
RSS Feed

Bubble Genius

This entry was posted in Bob and Chez Show, Radio Show and tagged , . Bookmark the permalink.
  • muselet

    Chez, Salon and AlterNet have nothing on Truthdig. For every sensible column the site runs—and in fairness, it does run a fair number—there are three pieces that are pure, frothing-at-the-mouth, worse-than-Bush argle-bargle.

    HuffPo’s business model depends on clickbait. There are a couple of very good reporters working there, but the front page is mostly outrage porn (Drones!!) and sideboobs.

    Bob, arguing with an obsessive is seldom worth the effort. I know you feel compelled to do it, but Glenn Greenwald won’t—or can’t—change his opinion and will always circle back to his original argument. It’s the equivalent of arguing with a tape loop. I’m with Chez: I applaud you for it but I’d never dream of arguing round and round with someone like that myself (and not only because you couldn’t pay me enough to be on Twitter).

    Matt Bai included this famous quote in his October 10, 2004 profile of John Kerry:

    When I asked Kerry what it would take for Americans to feel safe again, he displayed a much less apocalyptic worldview [than George W. Bush]. ”We have to get back to the place we were, where terrorists are not the focus of our lives, but they’re a nuisance,” Kerry said. ”As a former law-enforcement person, I know we’re never going to end prostitution. We’re never going to end illegal gambling. But we’re going to reduce it, organized crime, to a level where it isn’t on the rise. It isn’t threatening people’s lives every day, and fundamentally, it’s something that you continue to fight, but it’s not threatening the fabric of your life.”

    Abandoning the “war on terror”—a lousy metaphor which has taken on a life of its own—and giving primary responsibility to law enforcement would be the rational way to deal with the real problem of terrorism, but anyone proposing it would be savaged by the Right. Real counterterrorism is slow and painstaking and doesn’t (usually) involve blowing stuff up, so the average Righty wants nothing to do with it.

    Not that I expect intellectual consistency from Righties, but doesn’t requiring every homeowner to own a gun force people to engage in economic activity, possibly against their will? And wasn’t that one of the Right’s favorite arguments against Obamacare?

    Roger Ailes correctly assessed Newt Gingrich, but that’s almost entirely by accident: Ailes hates Gingrich almost as much as he hates Barack Obama.

    Chez, I think we all need to create a fund so Bob can get his own personal replica Oval Office. Of course, he’d start opening the podcast with, “My fellow Americans …” so there would be a downside.

    Since the Rs have been responsible for most of the provable voter fraud in the past several years, I say we defund the GOP and its subsidiaries and successors. It makes as much sense as defunding ACORN did and much more sense than continuing to defund an organization that folded in 2010.

    Bob, most of the time your cri de cœur is not only accurate, it’s the most sensible summary of and commentary on the day’s news I can imagine.

      Thanks, alo. Really appreciate your comments.

  • ranger11

    I haven’t listened to this yet but I will say I remain flummoxed and perplexed that any progressives could rally around a Rand Paul or Ted Cruz. I am not an African American but knowing what these guys feel about the Civil Rights and Voting Rights Act makes this all the more disturbing. Being on Social Security makes it more depressing about this adulation. This is like 2000 or 2010 all over again. Very disheartening. All I can say is fuck you left-wing progressive libertarian guys!

  • JMAshby

    Dwayne Chronic?

    Bush spent over 1000 days on vacation, 1/3rd of his entire time in office, being what the former Mexican president Vicente Fox referred to as a “windshield cowboy,” because Bush was afraid of horses so he drove his pickup truck around the Crawford ranch.

  • POLITICALPARTYPOOPER

    The Daily Banter!!!? What the …?

    What happened to the Goddamned Awesome Blog, Bob?!

    Are you not awesome anymore? Goddammit! I leave for a while, and everything goes to hell! Well, at least yo’re still writing. There’s that. But I feel a little culture shocked.

      Things change. The blog and all of the archives are still here.

        The Goddamned Awesomeness is still here too.

  • MrDHalen

    The current Drone debate is just stupid at this point. We’re talking about ONE tool that is at the disposal of the President to thwart national attacks unfolding faster than non-military institutions can respond too. Our National Guard is currently at the ready with armed F-16s to launch at the President’s orders to engage any domestic threat, even from Americans.

    The President giving orders to kill domestically in a crisis is strange? Really? Most local law enforcement are authorized to kill you if you are a threat. Of course investigations will follow and the same would happen with the President as well. Four Americans died in Bengazie at the hands of terrorist and they’re all over the President. I think if he starts taking out U.S. coffee shop customers, he’ll be leaving the White House in cuffs.

    When are the adults getting home? I’m sick of playtime!

  • http://twitter.com/gussiejives Gussie Jives

    Just out of curiosity, I checked out your conversation with Greenwald… that man must be infuriating to interact with. Even if one agrees on the policy implications, he just snidely called you a defender of the “Leader” like a two-bit troll on The Blaze or something. I try to give people the benefit of the doubt, but he’s lost my respect, if he had any to begin with.

    I think it’s important never to keep one’s eye off the prize when it comes to Twitter battles: we do it for the third parties who happen to venture on it. You’ll never convince Greenwald he’s wrong; if he did admit he’s wrong, he’d be fired from The Guardian and have to go to whatever 3rd-tier blogging site comes next.

    Alternet’s got some interesting stuff, and its topics vary. I mostly go for the interesting articles on feminism, relationships and history. Foreign policy, not so much. I don’t think its fair to lump them in with the other firebagger sites.

    I actually got kinda pissed at Cenk this week for his like 7 minute tribute to Rand Paul. While he admitted he disagreed with Paul most of the time up front, at least make it clear that he’s a stopped clock who happened to be right one of two times a day. Cenk just shoveled praise on his filibuster as if the rest of his policy positions were just window dressing.

    We get it, drones suck. Propose solutions, like Bob has, or move on.

    Good show, as always, Bob.