The GOP’s Savior is Still on a Crusade to Defund Obamacare

From the department of You Can’t Make This Shit up, Marco Rubio, the Republican Party’s savior, says he would vote for a continuing resolution to prevent the government from shutting down only if it also defunds Obamacare in the process because we must ‘fix the debt.’

via ThinkProgress

RUBIO: Well first of all, I don’t think anyone is in favor of shutting down the government, but I think that’s where we’re headed ultimately here, unfortunately, if we don’t fix our debt problem… But here’s what I’ve said about this continuing resolution. Senator Cruz from Texas is offering this amendment to defund Obamacare. If that gets onto the bill, in essence, if they get a continuing resolution and we can get a vote on that and pass that onto the bill, I’ll vote for a continuing resolution, even if it’s temporary, because it does something permanent, and that’s defund this health care bill, this Obamacare bill, that is going to be an absolute disaster for the American economy. You’re already starting to feel the outer edges of that… I already am running into businesses that are planning next year on not hiring people or laying some people off so they don’t have to meet these mandates. Others are going to push their employees off of their private plans that they offer and onto these exchanges, driving up the cost for the public. So this is going to be an implementation disaster. It’s going to hurt our economy severely. And we’re not spending enough time talking about that.

Obamacare is such a disaster for the economy that we’ve had 36 consecutive months of job growth and the lowest unemployment rate in four years. Cost estimates for Medicare through 2020 have also dropped by $500 billion.

Evidently, Macro Rubio does not ascribe to Mitt Romney’s belief that he lost the 2012 election because The Poors and The Others really love Obamacare. And he won’t vote to keep the government running unless we defund it.

This doesn’t make any sense for Rubio. The issue of Obamacare has been more or less settled. States with Republican Governors who swore they would never take advantage of it, including Rick Scott of all people, are giving in and expanding Medicaid. The Supreme Court has affirmed the law. We just had a national election of historic importance to settle this.

Does anyone know what he’s thinking?

I suppose if Rubio’s position as the Republican party’s Ambassador of Outreach to Immigrants and Tupac Enthusiasts prohibits him from out-conservativing Jeb Bush on immigration, he’ll have to out-conservative him on healthcare. Little does he know extremism on the latter effectively nullifies his relative moderation on the former.

rubiotime

This entry was posted in Epic Fail, Healthcare and tagged , , . Bookmark the permalink.
  • gescove

    In the words of Paul Krugman: “Modern conservatism is…a deeply radical movement,
    one that is hostile to the kind of society we’ve had for the past three
    generations—that is, a society that, acting through the government,
    tries to mitigate some of the ‘common hazards of life’ through such
    programs as Social Security, unemployment insurance, Medicare and
    Medicaid.” This hostility is manifest in many other ways, too — filibuster, debt ceiling, voter suppression, Justice Scalia — all come immediately to mind. It’s futile to look for reason or logic… it is tribal ideology immune to intellectual coherence. But at least they learned from getting thrashed in the last election… not!

  • muselet

    Marco Rubio as the GOP’s “Ambassador of Outreach to Immigrants and Tupac Enthusiasts.” I’m going to have to steal that, because it’s simply bloody brilliant.

    Alas, I think that’s really what the party really thinks he is.

    Really, if they had much true political savvy they wouldn’t move to the wingnut fringe of their party, they’d move to the center right. For the party that claims it’s got businessmen who know how to run the country, they seem ignorant of a basic notion of business: You don’t succeed by grabbing a larger portion of a shrinking market segment. You succeed by moving into an expanding market.

    “And you know the surest way to go broke? Keep getting an increasing share of a shrinking market. Down the tubes. Slow but sure. You know, at one time there must’ve been dozens of companies making buggy whips. And I’ll bet the last company around was the one that made the best goddamn buggy whip you ever saw. Now how would you have liked to have been a stockholder in that company?”

    Other People’s Money

  • Victor_the_Crab

    Anyone who watched last night’s Moment of Zen on the Daily Show would instantly know that Marco Rubio is about as intelligent as a bag of doorknobs.