The Shifting Birtherism Goal Posts

I’d like to see Sen. Ted Cruz (R-TX) try to run for president some day. Why? To see the Birthers’ heads explode. Turns out, being born from an American mother in a foreign nation is perfectly legal and acceptable according to Byron York.

Conservative commentator Byron York has written an entire post explaining to his readership that Sen. Ted Cruz (R-TX) is in fact eligible for the presidency despite being born in Canada because his mother was a U.S. citizen, making him a natural-born citizen.

“In the past few days, there has been renewed buzz on the Internet about the presidential eligibility of Texas Sen. Ted Cruz,” York writes. “In response to a request for comment, his spokesman, Sean Rushton, sent me this note: ‘Sen. Cruz is a U.S. citizen by birth, having been born in Calgary to an American-born mother.’” (My emphasis.)

Duh. Of course Ted Cruz is a citizen by birth. Yes, he was born in a country whose name bears an eery phonetic resemblance to Kenya, and yes, his dad was not a U.S. citizen at the time of his birth, but his mom was a U.S. citizen making him a natural-born American.

But see, Canada is a mostly white, mostly friendly nation and Cruz is a Republican. So everything is fine and dandy.

This entry was posted in Birthers and tagged , , . Bookmark the permalink.
  • Username1016

    You do know why Obama’s situation drives the birthers crazy, don’t you? I looked it up once, and I found that the rules have varied over the years, but this is how it worked when Obama was born (disclaimer — this is from memory!):

    A child born outside of America to a US citizen and a non-citizen (yeah, I know he was born in Hawaii, but stay with me here), is a natural-born citizen IF the parent who’s a citizen has been a citizen for a minimum 10 years, 5 of them as an adult.

    So in general, so long as one of your parents was a natural-born lifelong citizen, it wouldn’t matter a hang WHERE you were born — Canada, Kenya, the moon! But Obama’s mother
    was so YOUNG — when she had that child, she’d only been an ADULT
    citizen for what, a year? Two? So IF ONLY that birth had taken place outside of the country, Obama would be a non-citizen on a technicality! I’m calling it a technicality because I think the clause was meant to rule out NATURALIZED citizens who haven’t been citizens sufficiently long — it was never intended to rule out the children of natural-born teenagers!

    Anyway, presumably Cruz’s parent was over 23, and maybe the rules were different when he was born. Plus of course the teabaggers aren’t LOOKING for technicalities that would make him a non-citizen! But, well, nyah nyah nyah, Hawaii is a US state and that technicality does NOT apply to Barack Hussein Obama, no matter how much the teabaggers wish it did :-)

    • D_C_Wilson

      Yes, but the birthers insist that there’s a double-secret clause in the Wong Kim Ark case that said that, while being born on US soil makes you a “citizen by birth”, you’re not truly a native born citizen unless both parents were US citizens at the time of your birth.

      It’s there, really. Just squirt some lemon juice on the original case file and you’ll see.

  • trgahan

    I think most of us remember when Schwarzenegger was elected governor of California. For the next six months conservative talking heads were going on about how we need to amend the constitution to allow non-native born citizens to be President. They argued that the section was an archaic rule that the world had grown out of and needed changing for modern times.

    It is pathetic how transparent conservatives are….

  • Chachizel

    The hypocrisy of these assholes is just mind boggling. Who votes for these dickheads??!!