The Worst of the Worst

The New York Times editorial page has taken a huge dump on Paul Ryan’s Path to Poverty 3.0.

All the tired ideas from 2011 and 2012 are back: eliminating Medicare’s guarantee to retirees by turning it into a voucher plan; dispensing with Medicaid and food stamps by turning them into block grants for states to cut freely; repealing most of the reforms to health care and Wall Street; shrinking beyond recognition the federal role in education, job training, transportation and scientific and medical research. The public opinion of these callous proposals was made clear in the fall election, but Mr. Ryan is too ideologically fervid to have learned that lesson.

The 2014 budget is even worse than that of the previous two years because it attempts to balance the budget in 10 years instead of the previous 20 or more. That would take nondefense discretionary spending down to nearly 2 percent of the economy, the lowest in modern history. And in its laziest section, it sets a goal of slashing the top tax rate for the rich to 25 percent from 39.6 percent, though naturally Mr. Ryan doesn’t explain how this could happen without raising taxes on middle- and lower-income people. (Sound familiar?) [...]

If the Ryan budget is any indication, Mr. Obama’s quest to bring reason to an unreasonable party may be doomed from the outset.

Following the 2012 election, I assumed that GOP would continue to be the GOP, but I certainly didn’t imagine we would go through an exact repeat of 2011 and 2012. Although, since House Republicans had their majority reaffirmed for at least another two years, perhaps we should have expected this.

What this really tells us is that they view Paul Ryan’s Path to Poverty as a long-term policy goal, not just some short-term gimmick, and they won’t let it go until they lose their majority.

The results of the 2010 election will haunt us for at least another two to four years.

This entry was posted in Economy and tagged , , . Bookmark the permalink.
  • lgillooly

    We are paying a HUGE price for gerrymandering districts in 2010.

  • jimtowndem

    as paul ryan has already said they will not stop until they destroy healthcare in america and also social security and wic and snap and medicare and medicaid. they will only stop when there are only serf’s and the entitled aristocracy left in the u.s.

  • muselet

    Second verse, same as the first!
    A little bit louder and a little bit worse!

    Hmm. We’re now on the third verse of Paul Ryan’s cover of the Ramones’s hit “Beat on the Brat” so I suppose that should be:

    Third verse, same as the first!
    A whole lot louder and a whole lot worse!

    I’m not the first to make this observation, but if the average Righty politician had to live on TANF and SNAP and Medicaid—you know, that evil, initiative-sapping *scary music sting* welfare they honk on about endlessly—he’d be a sobbing wreck by the end of the first week. Paul Ryan wouldn’t make it to the end of Day 1.

    Yeah, but those liberals who stayed home in 2010 sure showed Obama, didn’t they? If he weren’t forced to deal with the republicans taking the country’s ability to pay its bills every few months, we wouldn’t be living in this progressive nirvana we’re enjoying today.

    • http://www.facebook.com/frederic.poag Frederic Poag

      Until the rest of the jackasses on the Left realize we’re in a knock down, drag out, ideological fight and give on this “We have to be romanced because we vote with our heart” we’re not gonna make any head way.

      Democracy is Mob freakin’ rule and the GOP’s mob doesn’t quit, doesn’t back down, and even when their leaders hurt them economically they still vote for them!

      • mrbrink

        I’m a big fan of your commentary, Poag. Just throwing that out there.

        No sleep til’ at least 2020– next census year election. I think the Republican party’s ability to never stop trying to hurt people is the country’s greatest truth to acknowledge.

      • Christopher Foxx

        “Listen, and understand. Those Republicans are out there. They can’t be bargained with. They can’t be reasoned with. They don’t feel pity, or remorse, or fear. And they absolutely will not stop, ever, until you are dead.”

  • GrafZeppelin127

    The results of the 2010 election will haunt us for at least another two to four years.

    Oh, longer than that, I think. Remember, the other result of 2010 was that Republicans got to redraw the district lines post-Census. Now, I’m perfectly happy to be out of Pete King’s district, proving that gerrymandering can’t be all bad, but it’ll be at least 2022 before those lines get redrawn again.

  • Draxiar

    Ah…third time’s the (c)harm, eh Ryan?