They Can’t Let Go of the Southern Strategy

Romney yesterday:

ROMNEY: We did very well with the majority population, but not with minority populations, and that was a failing, that was a real mistake.

CHRIS WALLACE: Why do you think that was?

ROMNEY: Well, I think the Obamacare attractiveness and feature was something we underestimated, particularly among lower incomes. And, uh, just didn’t do as good a job in connecting with that audience as we should have.

President Obama and the Democrats helped people — all people — to, you know, not die due to losing their health insurance. Also, he helped people to not go bankrupt when they become sick or injured. Somehow this is regarded as an electoral bribe to poor minorities. You’d think, however, that Romney would give up the Southern Strategy flimflam since he’s not running for anything.

This entry was posted in Election 2012 and tagged , . Bookmark the permalink.
  • GOVCHRIS1988

    He just needs to go away. He does not do the party good or himself any good by exposing himself and his wife to these self pitying, self congratulatory, self aggrandizing interviews where he has to blame everyone else for his failures before he gives one hint of it for himself. I mean, we dodged a major bullet with these two. To replace Barack and Michelle Obama with these two clowns is a horrendous thought and thank God that the “majority” is losing their sway in this nation, because these two would have flushed America’s reputation down faster than GWB did.

    • Draxiar

      While I agree with you I find you make a good arguement for exactly why Mitt should stick around. I hope he continues to damage the Republican Party and himself in precisely this sort of way if he does stick around. And yes, we dodged a bullet on this.

      “To replace Barack and Michelle Obama with these two clowns is a horrendous though”

      Just the thought of it during the election season made me physically ill. I don’t even want to imagine that scenario!

    “since he’s not running for anything”

    I wouldn’t count on that.

    Meanwhile, he needs to fade the fuck away….really fast, and with help from us by denying him any publicity.

    • GOVCHRIS1988

      This is the thing though. What purpose does it serve him to actually do this? Is he lobbying for RNC Chair or Governor, Senator of Massachusetts or trying to orchestrate a Tom Deweyesque crack at the nomination again? Seriously, why is he doing this to himself and mostly to us.

        I think he is considering his options. And I wish I could believe that said options preclude ever running for office again.

    • muselet

      I don’t think Mitt Romney will ever run for public office again. Not just because he got thumped by the Marxist Kenyan Usurper in an economy deliberately made weak by the Rs—though that’s bad enough—but because he demonstrated such a craven lack of principle that no faction of the GOP could possibly trust him. It’s just barely possible that he’ll maneuver himself into a state party chairmanship, I suppose, but it seems unlikely.

      I predict he’ll fill his days by either: (a) becoming president of a university, to fulfill his need to perform public service (or at least be seen to be doing so); or (b) sitting on the beach in La Jolla and setting fire to $100 bills, just because he can.

        I am not so convinced as you, Alo, that he will never run for office again.

        Unfortunately for Detroit, there’s a rumour going around that King Snyder is considering appointment of Romney to the post of Emergency Financial Manager for said city. Despicable pricks.

        • D_C_Wilson

          I guess the residents of Detroit can look forward to having their homes outsourced.

      • D_C_Wilson

        He’ll run again. He considers the presidency his birthright. Not the part about actually doing the job of president, but just be called “Mr. President”. That’s the part that’s he can’t let go of.

        But he won’t get the nomination again. He won it this time around just by being the least nutty resident of crazy town.

  • KABoink_after_wingnut_hacker

    “President Obama and the Democrats helped people — all people — to, you know, not die due to losing their health insurance. Also, he helped people to not go bankrupt when they become sick or injured. Somehow this is regarded as an electoral bribe to poor minorities”.
    Exactly! This statement encapsulates republicans preference for the priviledged wealthy class and white racial entitlement, juxtaposed to their complete and utter disdain for average Americans.

    • D_C_Wilson

      Yeah, but helping people without expecting a quid pro quo in return? That goes against everything they hold sacred!

  • Chris Andersen

    They’ve internalized it.

    • D_C_Wilson

      It’s now become their conventional wisdom. Deep in their hearts, they believe that blacks and Hispanics just want “free stuff” at the expense of the makers (ie, white male Christians), therefore, America is doomed unless they are prevented from voting.

      They really can’t understand why the middle and lower classes aren’t content with the few crumbs that have “trickled down” from the banquet of the wealthy and the politically connected.