Totally Not Racist

Here’s a CPAC participant who both defended slavery and segregation as “good” for African Americans.

A panel at the Conservative Political Action Committee on Republican minority outreach exploded into controversy on Friday afternoon, after an audience member defended slavery as good for African-Americans.

The exchange occurred after an audience member from North Carolina, 30-year-old Scott Terry, asked whether Republicans could endorse races remaining separate but equal. After the presenter, K. Carl Smith of Frederick Douglass Republicans, answered by referencing a letter by Frederick Douglass forgiving his former master, the audience member said “For what? For feeding him and housing him?” Several people in the audience cheered and applauded Terry’s outburst.

After the exchange, Terry muttered under his breath, “why can’t we just have segregation?”

White men — this guy’s “people” — are being “disenfranchised.” Yeah, when will society get its boot off the neck of white men. Sheesh. Phenomenally racist dink.

Though I was glad to hear how aghast everyone was when he said that slaves should’ve been grateful for their “food and shelter.”

This entry was posted in Racism and tagged , . Bookmark the permalink.
  • trgahan

    Cue the troll rebuttals “You’re a reverse racist Bob! I have plenty of liberal friends who are racist does that make the entire Democratic Party racist!? Just cause one racist was there doesn’t mean CPAC is racist! Liberals control the schools, so we never hear the truth about southern Plantation life! Mr. Smith was just trying to have the conversation our overly PC nation refuses to have! Etc.”

    I am sure others can come up with better ones…

    • D_C_Wilson

      “You’re racist for seeing racism every where!”

      That seems to be one of the favorite retorts on the intertubes these days. Apparently, on Planet Wingnuttia, racism now means drawing attention to blatantly racist behavior.

    • kfreed

      No, you pretty much covered it.

  • linusbern

    Who wouldn’t be willing to give up all control of their life, and give every ounce of their labor and energy to enrich someone who will whip their skin off for ‘insolence’, or sell their children for a buck in exchange for room and board. Yep, Republican’s just loooovve freedom.

  • GrafZeppelin127

    More self-congratulation and resentment. You can set your watch by it.

    Listen to every speech at the CPAC and you’ll hear the same thing: The speaker congratulating himself for being whatever he thinks he is, congratulating the audience for being whatever it is they want to think they are, and expressing and validating deep, intense, all-consuming resentment for anyone and everyone who not only is not that, but anyone and everyone who fails to recognize and honor the virtue and heroism of those who are that.

    • D_C_Wilson

      CPAC has long been mainly a circle jerk for conservatives to tell each other great they are, how they are the only Real Americans ™, and how they don’t need to change at all, it’s the repast of the world that needs to change for them.

  • muselet

    *blink*

    ThinkProgress spoke with Terry, who sported a Rick Santorum sticker and attended CPAC with a friend who wore a Confederate Flag-emblazoned t-shirt, about his views after the panel. Terry maintained that white people have been “systematically disenfranchised” by federal legislation.

    When asked by ThinkProgress if he’d accept a society where African-Americans were permanently subservient to whites, he said “I’d be fine with that.” He also claimed that African-Americans “should be allowed to vote in Africa,” and that “all the Tea Parties” were concerned with the same racial problems that he was.

    At one point, a woman challenged him on the Republican Party’s roots, to which Terry responded, “I didn’t know the legacy of the Republican Party included women correcting men in public.”

    He claimed to be a direct descendent of Confederate President Jefferson Davis.

    It is an abiding mystery why Lefties think politically-conservative, white, Southern men are bigots.

      Always shocking to find a racist who is also a misogynist.

    He must have forgotten to don his white hood.

    Despicable pig.

  • zirgar

    So, I wonder how this racist moron rationalizes the American Revolution? Oh, right. When it’s white people wanting freedom it’s okay, even noble, but not when it’s black people, who should just shut up, or if they have to say anything at all, just say, “Thank you, Mr. and Mrs. Whitey” and be glad they had 3 hots and a cot. Still, I do favor segregation; segregating these racist fucks from the rest of us.

  • Brutlyhonest

    With the current state of the republican party – i.e. having nothing to do with being fiscally conservative – the mere existence of “Frederick Douglass Republicans” is as ridiculous as that of the log cabin republicans.

    BTW, having grown up among terry-like racists in NC, we should not forget that they don’t consider brown people (or any color other than white for that matter) to even be people.

  • D_C_Wilson

    I have to wonder if, after this exchange, Smith went back the green room, sat down, and thought, “How the hell am I supposed to expand this party’s appeal to minorities when this is the kind of racist fuckwits who attend my outreach seminars?”

    Though I doubt it. Self-reflection doesn’t seem to be a trait shared by many conservatives these days.

  • i_a_c

    What, no joseph2004 in this thread? Color me shocked.